Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This isn't a electrical problem but I am hoping someone here has some insight or a solution to a problem a customer of mine is having. Story goes, Customer purchased a Vizio 60 inch Led smart tv. He paid a guy to hang the tv from the ceiling and do all the hook ups. He hired me to install a surge protector outlet in the ceiling for the tv.

When I got there he complained that the sound and the picture was lagging. (it's like watching a 70's and 80's era kung fu movie) Peoples lips move and 10 seconds later the words come out.
He called Tech Support and they said the problem is with his cable provider. He called Verizon Fios, they came out and checked it on their end and said its the Tv. He returned that one and the problem still exists. He has it hooked up with hi end Hdmi cables not the cheap ones.

On a side note, when he uses regular component cables the problem doesn't exist :no: Again, I know this isn't a "electrical" issue but there is a ton of people on here with a ton of knowledge and maybe someone has had this problem before.
Thank you and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell him to stop buying crappy TVs from Walmart.
Samsung...get a samsung..acva
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink it"

Get rid of the "hi end" hdmi cable and try a cheap hdmi cable.

Does it go direct from the cable box to the tv?
hmmmmm, see I thought it would have been the other way around. Figured it was a "get what ya pay for" thing.
Yes straight from cable box to tv.

·
Registered
63 Posts
geo5509 said:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink it" hmmmmm, see I thought it would have been the other way around. Figured it was a "get what ya pay for" thing. Yes straight from cable box to tv.
Could it be somewhere in the TV settings?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have heard of some TVs having sync issues with certain cable boxes and were resolved by call the tv manufacturer and getting and update and installing it via the USB port on the tv with a flash drive

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard of some TVs having sync issues with certain cable boxes and were resolved by call the tv manufacturer and getting and update and installing it via the USB port on the tv with a flash drive
Thanks I will tell him to make another call to the manufacturer and ask them.
He has been going back and forth between the manufacturer and Verizon. They are each blaming the other. Go Figure

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There is no "high end HDMI cables" there's just "open your wallets and shake everything out then sell your first born and you still don't have enough HDMI cables". That being said there are cheap HDMI cables.

What I'm saying is the cables from monster etc are just ripoffs. As long as the cable is properly made it's all the same. Mono price has great cables

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no "high end HDMI cables" there's just "open your wallets and shake everything out then sell your first born and you still don't have enough HDMI cables". That being said there are cheap HDMI cables.

What I'm saying is the cables from monster etc are just ripoffs. As long as the cable is properly made it's all the same. Mono price has great cables
Thanks for the info, I wish I would of stayed on top of the technology advancements but I'm still stuck in the 90's. I have a flat screen HD tv connected with RCA cables :laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Today many of us run hdmi over cat5 cables.. customers would be in disbelief if they found out it wasn't a super duper thick gauge $500 monster cable. :laughing:

$15-20 for a high speed hdmi cable is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
5$ is normal for hdmi. 15-20$ is still a ripoff unless they are 10ft + long. i only use cheap 3-4$ ebay hdmi and never had problem due to cable

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,298 Posts
There's a setting in these Vizio TV for (picture) noise reduction, apparently if you turn this function off the picture issues go away. Learned this when I was researching new TVs for the wife.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts