Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are senior high school engineering students and we wanted to get people's thoughts on problems they encounter with ladders and what they would like to change. If you could take a moment and help us out by answering a few questions we would appreciate it!

1.What problems do you encounter when using ladders?

2.What improvements to a ladder would you make to solve your problem?

Do you have any comments or anything else you could add?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
We are senior high school engineering students and we wanted to get people's thoughts on problems they encounter with ladders and what they would like to change. If you could take a moment and help us out by answering a few questions we would appreciate it!

1.Do you use ladders in your line of work?

Yes

a.If yes, what do you use the ladders for and how do you use them?

To get off the ground. I walk up them one step at a time

2.What problems do you encounter when using ladders?

Thinking about women

3.What improvements to a ladder would you make to solve your problem?

dvd player

make it, they will buy it

Thanks in advance,
Alex

·
Master Electrician
2,684 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Alex

1. falling off of them, or heavy

2. making them lightweight somehow. fiberglass is lighter than wood and aluminium is lighter than fiberglass but not insulated.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
My biggest problem is everyone makes fun of my aluminum ladder I use on de-energized circuits. I'm told I should use a nice, safe steel scaffold instead.

Anyone know where I can find an articulating fiberglass step-ladder that goes to 21'? :whistling2:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I've suffered two work related injuries in the past, related to ladders. Both were related to moving the ladder around (weight). Pulled my back out real good.... twice.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
last time i used an aluminum ladder it was only rated for 150 or 200 pounds. it folded in half and i fell off of it and almost went through the wall

Mine's rated 300 lbs, so my fat arse is safe. :laughing:

Actually, I feel better standing at 19' on this one than I do standing at 10' on my 12' fiberglass.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I've also injured my back moving 12' ladders around. Here's what I would like to see in all my ladders:

Insulated
Light
Top plate has a hole for my drill and a couple of screwdrivers
Top plate has a recess for screws

Here's one that you could really differentiate your ladder from the competition with:

Make a four legged ladder that doesn't walk on you. A tripod ladder usually doesn't walk on you but the base is so wide that transport and storage is more difficult and they seem to weigh more in addition to costing more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
some kind of handle or comfortable place to put your hand for carrying would be nice

Being able to push the ladder across bare cement or carpet would be nice wiithout having to collapse it or drag it and have it hop all over the place(im thinking of those stools that have the wheels on the bottom but when you stand on them the wheels retract into the bottom)

A place at the top for all my **** is probably the biggest problem the holes at the top are always oddly sized so i always find myself trying to balance or perch my tools to make sure they don't fall down(walking up and down a 10ft to get **** that falls down all day is very frustrating). Also some kind of recessed tray with a lid at the top for wire nuts and what not

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

1.To heavy
2. After awhile the the metal side locks (not sure of the right term) become loose and are a PITA to work
3. Feet become splintered and not worth a crap

Fix all the above

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Make them where they do not walk

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
i really like the idea of a magnetic thing on top of the ladder to hold screws and stuff.
I used a Louisville ladder with the magnet up top. When standing on the second from highest step for a while I sometimes like to put my knee up on the top of the ladder, this doesn't work too well if you have a bunch of screws sticking up on the magnet :eek::eek:

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
A step with a deeper tread. Standing on the step for a long time hurts the ol' feet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They need better coatings and better sunlight resistance. An extension ladder on top of a van for several years starts splintering and eventually fiberglass eating your hands up.
Have you ever tried having the ladders re-glazed or coated again to prevent the fiberglass splinters? It was mentioned to me as an option awhile back by a ladder vendor, I've been a bit skeptical though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts