Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
It all boils down to this: Either you wear the tools , or you take the courses , learn the lingo, hopefully learn the gannt math behind it (few actually do and still call themselves "project managers" while totally clueless as to what it really means to manage a project.) and mix in to the corporate crowd where it is easy to be a numbnuts ahd get away with it.

So choose- Electrician or Numbnuts.
If you are willing to stay a small shop doing residential or small tenant improvements, or even just a few projects at the same time, than PM isn't worth the effort.
But, if you are doing commercial of medium and up size, PM is an excellent tool.
Gannt charts are just one of the tools that are useful. And that's all PM is, a tool. It's not a magic solution.
When you have multiple projects on the go at the same time, the charts are very useful to allocate your resources.
You don't need to take a PM course to learn how to make/read scheduling charts because Microsoft Project will do the same thing. But understanding the premise behind Project Management will help you on larger projects.
Project Management isn't just Gannt charts. It's communication, QA/QC, risk analysis/management, procurement.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
Thank you and Frunk for the corrections. I stand corrected. I also have a degree in that same subject for what it is worth. And it landed my a nice office job in a nice big fat numbnuts organization doing management speak all day and attending important meetings,for a fat salary. But I didn't like it there.

So anyway, yesterday I got two roll up commercial doors wired up, and installed three photo cells on existing wall pack fixtures , and went to a Kaiser High baseball game.
That's the point.
Maybe the OP wants to work for a larger organization, maybe not. Maybe he wants to run large projects for his own company. There in lies the diversity of the Trade. Small to large, with different requirements .
Mac, can you truthfully say that you use absolutely none of the knowledge that you gained from your PM degree (technically speaking it's a certification with PMI, giving one, the designation of PMP) ? Education is a tool, which we use to make the various parts of our jobs go easier.
BTW, truly sorry to hear you had to work on a Saturday. All I did was sleep in and then go to the Art Gallery and enjoy an afternoon of interesting exhibits.

Reactions: FrunkSlammer

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
Thanks for the advice! And I now understand what you're saying. I'm not currently trying to land an office job, etc as you explained but I am attempting to learn how to juggle multiple project, big and small, as well as risk management etc. And I thought a pm course would be a great place to start. Would you disagree?
I doubt you will find a single course which covers scheduling and risk.
PM is a very diverse field, which you will find is practiced by many different disciplines. I would say that almost 90% of the people in the classes I took, were IT .
Here's a link to Centennial College in Toronto.
http://db2.centennialcollege.ca/ce/certdetail.php?CertificateCode=7266
I believe you have to take the Fundamentals course first.
These courses and subsequent certificates do not get you PMP designation. But if you are not looking for placement as a Project manager, than you will not need the PMP.
For that, you have to meet PMI's requirements before you can write their exam.

Another option for education advancement in the construction field is the Gold Seal. If you are staying in construction with an eye to moving up to management, I think this may be more beneficial to you.
Either way, more education can only help

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
I'm still moody .
Start selling milk cows and butter churners.
Yeah, my SO gets that way too:whistling2:

Have you ever milked cows by hand? Electric operated milking machines make it way easier:thumbsup:. My hands get sore
Better to sell the cows and churners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.