Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with an ATS that is tied in to a corner grounded delta system from utility power. When 1 pump is running, generator works like a champ. When 2 pumps are running, the ATS is constantly switching between utility and generator power. I am new to this kind of wiring system and am, first off, wondering exactly how and why it is set up like that. Also, I am wondering if it would have any effect on our control panel. Our readings were A-N 480 B-N 42 C-N 480. From my understanding, it should read 0 at B-N. However, we are getting some ghost voltage from a random source. Would this have any effect on our control panel as far as the sensing and maintaining the power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
I'm also wondering if your generator is properly sized? Maybe the ATS is dropping out on undervoltage when the second pump closes in?

-John
I was thinking the exact same thing. The second pump seems to be the cause of the problem. I would turn off the first pump and isolate the second pump and run it on the generator, and see what happens.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
what kind of ATS is it ? Does it have any software that you can diagnose with ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. The generator is more than enough to carry the load. The problem is that it will stay on the generator for about 10 or 15 seconds then it will switch back to utility for about the same amount of time and it just keeps flip flopping back and forth. Essentially like it is hunting for a power source even though it has 2 good sources. And thank you for the correction on the readings, btw. When it had one pump on it, it worked fine, like i stated earlier. Then, when the second pump was connected, it started acting up. The generator is a 200 kW unit, more than enough for 2 water pumps. I'm not sure of the pumps but carrying the load isn't the problem, holding the load is. Again, thanks for any tips and help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts