Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am installing a gen-set fueled by on-site propane tank in a small nursery home
this system is for emergency back up for life safety of patients and operates through a auto transfer switch.

I am planning to install gen. and propane fuel tank at the corner of property, in back yard, 15 feet away from building but 2 feet away from property lines.

what is the proper location ???
The distance apart shall be for generator and fuel tank ???
Any other things, rules I should know ??????

Please see attached plot plan

Tank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi,
I am installing a gen-set fueled by on-site propane tank in a small nursery home
this system is for emergency back up for life safety of patients and operates through a auto transfer switch.

I am planning to install gen. and propane fuel tank at the corner of property, in back yard, 15 feet away from building but 2 feet away from property lines.

what is the proper location ???
The distance apart shall be for generator and fuel tank ???
Any other things, rules I should know ??????

Please see attached plot plan

Tank you
Is the generator designed for life safety? No offense, but you seem a bit over your head. When installing a system like this, people's lives are literally in your hands.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
I would second calling an inspector and getting the hard facts from him, however, typically the minimum distance between a gas vent and combustion engine is 5 ft. Also from what I have found you want 8 ft of pipe between the last regulator and the gen-set. Smaller units you can get away with less distance, but the bigger you go, the more likely to get regulator bounce. That will cause erratic gas pressures and can cause the gen-set to hunt.

Also are you aware of the requirements of testing a life safety gen-set? You don't get to just install it, run it a few minutes and walk away. Typically you need to show the results of an 8 hr load bank test. The test must be done at varying percentages of load up to max generator load.

If you aren't familiar with life safety generators, you may be in way way over your head. If it isn't too late, I would do more research on this, something like this has the ability to put you in a deep hole fast. We do life safety generators quite often, our load bank alone cost me over $30,000 and I still need to rent one at times from another company because mine isn't big enough at 400kW.

Do yourself a favor, look into this further if any of this was unknown to you

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
as others said, you need to know the codes in your area, and it is up to you to find out that information. Whomever went to get the permit could have saved a lot of time by getting the information at that time. There is no one set of rules that works nationwide, especially for property line set-back requirements.

http://planning.lacounty.gov/luz/summary/category/commercial_zones/

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
Load bank envy... But seriously, to sell and install generators properly takes some planning. Every layout is different as others have said, where does it all go, property lines, noise restrictions, etc. Does the gas fitter know what he's doing, or is he one to say, you don't need the full load btu, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.