Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new in the field is there a percentage difference in what I charge hourly for a Service Call (repair) and normal installation work?? It would seem my rate would be the same but others tell me you can get a higer rate for service work.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am setting up my flat rate program and I come up with a good hourly rate based on filling out the work sheet..now in my flat rate program it says pricing for installation work and pricing for service work..it also uses a rule of thumb for service work of 5 times the hourly rate of my higest paid employee..still ok but would that be the same rate for general installation/wiring for say a new garage or remodel work..I think of service work as getting called out on a breakdown and such

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am setting up my flat rate program and I come up with a good hourly rate based on filling out the work sheet..now in my flat rate program it says pricing for installation work and pricing for service work..it also uses a rule of thumb for service work of 5 times the hourly rate of my higest paid employee..still ok but would that be the same rate for general installation/wiring for say a new garage or remodel work..I think of service work as getting called out on a breakdown and such

Use that sheet to calculate your costs ad them up and divide by 1,000 man hours that will be your service rate .

Ad in everything.

even if your truck is paid for ,you should figure in a monthly payment as if you just got the truck loan on a brand new truck , you will need a new one,one day so figure that in.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Being new in the field is there a percentage difference in what I charge hourly for a Service Call (repair) and normal installation work?? It would seem my rate would be the same but others tell me you can get a higer rate for service work.
Yes. Service work assumes a limited number of billable hours 1000-1200 a year is generally used
Installation on the other hand allows for more time as you are not moving from site to site.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I have never heard 5 times your highest paid man. If you pay 10 bucks an hour your rate would be 50 an hour and you would slowly go broke. Even at 25 you only get 125 an hour that is low when you start adding your costs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Flat rate plus program from Aptora (Mr HVAC) I have 2 techs each in own truck with 1 helper to float between the two on large jobs..in the set up program it says a rule of thumb is 5 time your highest techs hourly rate..his rate is $20.00 a hour so by that thought I should be billing him out at $100.00 an hr...for residential work..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts