Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Here's a quick rundown. Property owner asked me to look at a job. Job was a steaming pile being run by a full on clown show. I called the client and respectfully declined the job. Neve gave pricing or anything. It seems they searched online and found my license number and contact info. They proceeded to pull a permit and have someone else do the wiring. I know this because I received an email saying that I had failed an inspection at their property. So I call code enforcement and tell them this story. They seem sufficiently upset and tell me I'll be receiving a phone call to verify the permit being cancelled. I just received an email telling me that the inspection had passed and a bill is soon to follow. I have another call in to code enforcement, but they haven't called me back and don't seem to care. I don't want my license on this when the house burns down. Any advice? Anyone have this happen? Any legal recourse on the property owner?? Can't wait to hear your thoughts/stories.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Put a mechanic's lien on the property until the job's paid in full. At least file notice. Then mail him a roll of toilet paper, and a bill for services rendered. (lease of your #)

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
I would get a lawyer and make couple copy of details to both lawyer and the place where they issue the permit and let them know excatally what is going on.

Hack do have good point that way it prevent illegal permit works like that.

Over here in my islands the permit office will see you in person before they give you the permit to make sure it is legit person to use it.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
Like Hack said there is criminality at work here, call your lawyer.

There is no way I'd want that hanging over my head for the next several years.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Where I'm at, upon registering with the city, the master will fill out who (up to four) can pick up a permit in the companies name.
That was a very stupid move on his part.
Do you already have legal counsel you can speak with?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In North Carolina the permitting is done county to county and each has their own rules and requirements. The county in question apparently does no due diligence (beyond collecting an email address). I do not have a lawyer, but I'll be following up with the state board, issuing a lien (great advice) and I will seek counsel and take any and all available action. I can't believe they did this and gave them my contact info. This is insane!

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
In North Carolina the permitting is done county to county and each has their own rules and requirements. The county in question apparently does no due diligence (beyond collecting an email address). I do not have a lawyer, but I'll be following up with the state board, issuing a lien (great advice) and I will seek counsel and take any and all available action. I can't believe they did this and gave them my contact info. This is insane!
I understand that and what I will suggest this part if you have website with your contact info .,, I would suggest to keep the license number off from the website due too many peoples are abusing that online.

that why some states are getting strict on this and cracking it down on the abuse.

again I would suggest to get the lawyer I know you may not want to hear it but it do worth it espcally like this situation.

I went thru like this before few time so it will be little rough at the moment but with lawyer assit you on that.

The fee for lawyer is drop of bucket comepare what the mess down the road.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
If your area is anything like mine there could be a relative or good friend in the office.... :whistling2:

Reactions: pitapacket

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
I understand that and what I will suggest this part if you have website with your contact info .,, I would suggest to keep the license number off from the website due too many peoples are abusing that online.

that why some states are getting strict on this and cracking it down on the abuse.

again I would suggest to get the lawyer I know you may not want to hear it but it do worth it espcally like this situation.

I went thru like this before few time so it will be little rough at the moment but with lawyer assit you on that.

The fee for lawyer is drop of bucket comepare what the mess down the road.

NJ and many other locations require your license number on any and all forms of advertising.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So I call code enforcement and tell them this story. They seem sufficiently upset and tell me I'll be receiving a phone call to verify the permit being cancelled. I just received an email telling me that the inspection had passed and a bill is soon to follow. I have another call in to code enforcement, but they haven't called me back and don't seem to care. I don't want my license on this when the house burns down. Any advice? Anyone have this happen? Any legal recourse on the property owner?? Can't wait to hear your thoughts/stories.
I don't know who you called but it should have been the appropriate person in the link below.

http://www.ncbeec.org/field-representatives/

Roger

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
Ya I am aware of that Mech.,, but some location dont mention it.

here in Philippines it kinda tossed up depending on which island you are located.
In the case the OP presents I blame the permit office for not having some type of check and balance system to avoid people getting a license number off a truck and pulling a permit.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
In the case the OP presents I blame the permit office for not having some type of check and balance system to avoid people getting a license number off a truck and pulling a permit.
Unfortunately that's the way it works here. Very few places make it hard for just anyone to pull a permit in your name. Hell, one city does a lot of their permit applications online, and when it comes to listing a contractor, there's a drop down of every contractor listed in their system. Point, click, done.

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
:thumbsup:

That the whole key issue is someone is not checking it carefully espcally if the permit is issued thru the online that is the problem there.

That why in here in Philippines we have to go in the office to get the permit even thru the online permit appaction is approved but they want to see who in person before they hand it out.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
Unfortunately that's the way it works here. Very few places make it hard for just anyone to pull a permit in your name. Hell, one city does a lot of their permit applications online, and when it comes to listing a contractor, there's a drop down of every contractor listed in their system. Point, click, done.
Damn, that just sounds like an easy way to perpetuate fraud!

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,465 Posts
:thumbsup:

That the whole key issue is someone is not checking it carefully espcally if the permit is issued thru the online that is the problem there.

That why in here in Philippines we have to go in the office to get the permit even thru the online permit appaction is approved but they want to see who in person before they hand it out.
Whatever it takes to stop fraud is worth it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts