Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Bababoee
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was curious as to what are some pros and cons of me becoming a union contractor... my motivation is to be able to land bigger work and to be able to pull from a pool of workers when needed..any thoughts..?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,332 Posts
Are there any former non union and now union contractors in your area you can contact and ask for their actual stories on how well that transition went for them? I only know one of them and he barely made it out alive after 4 or 5 yrs with the union. I am not trying to say it always goes like this , cause this question you pose is one I used to always consider myself but never acted on.

It seems around here at least, that contractors who started out in the union and only became contractors while in the union, and became union contractors are the ones who do really well. Those are plentiful enough, but like I said, I only know one who made the leap into , after spending most of his career outside.

Reactions: Thomps

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I can't answer your question. A couple of thoughts though. Besides the labor issue (which goes without saying that a labor pool of trained hands is a great plus), some other ingredients that go into the mix of a successful contractor:
- is the area you work in pro union
- is the percentage of union contracts in your financial realm >50%
- the state of the economy going up
- your local(s) have mostly qualified (as opposed to slugs)
- your local(s) treat contractors fairly (no major hanky panky and greased wheels).

if all the above are yes, it might be right for you.

Reactions: brian john

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
Pro - at will available work force already trained with rules for all parties with most payroll companies already set up to handle. Easier entre into prevailing wage bidding and jobs ( as you are prequalified ).

Con - generally more expensive labor and less loyal to the contractor than the hall.

Pro or Con...Since you are in NJ, you might actually be able to hire me...:)

As far as job size, I am on my third billion+ project in the last 10 years with many multi-million dollar projects in between. NJ has lots of opportunities for union contractors, however there are many very good union contractors to compete against.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I could care if it's union or not, the key term is 'big'

I've been told by many a 'big contractor' to either go a min of 6-10 men w/ full time office help ,inclusive of PM's & Estimators , and expect to spend more phone than tool time, or don't bother at all

~CS~

·
Senior Moment
1,136 Posts
Are you completely off the tools, have a full time estimator, office staff/manager? I have an old NECA labor estimator/job cost file from 2007. It gives a view of how union contractors bid/where/how labor cost are determined. Do you know any union contractors that would take you to some meetings, introduce you to some of the different Local BM/BA's. Get a copy of a Local's CBA to see what all wage and benefits are currently. Not an easy decision, plus it could be one of no return. Unless you close up shop and your wife starts a new EC business.:jester:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Pro - at will available work force already trained with rules for all parties with most payroll companies already set up to handle. Easier entre into prevailing wage bidding and jobs ( as you are prequalified ).

Con - generally more expensive labor and less loyal to the contractor than the hall.

As far as job size, I am on my third billion+ project in the last 10 years with many multi-million dollar projects in between. NJ has lots of opportunities for union contractors, however there are many very good union contractors to compete against.
I am on my 2nd billion dollar + project in last 5 years, and union

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

You should post some pictures of that stuff you're working on,I'll bet the guys would love it here.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.