Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/gals,

looking at getting on with IBEW Local 714 in ND to start the apprenticeship in the next month or so. figured id hop on this forum and start reading and learning. thanks in advance for accepting me to your community!

701guy:jester:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not too late to check into HVAC. You'll make more money.
Thanks for your concern but I think I've made up my mind. Been jumping all over trades since high school (2012 grad); although I haven't worked HVAC, I know some boys that do.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Thanks for your concern but I think I've made up my mind. Been jumping all over trades since high school (2012 grad); although I haven't worked HVAC, I know some boys that do.
AT least take some courses, hopefully with good instructors and have a backup. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AT least take some courses, hopefully with good instructors and have a backup. Good luck.
I have a family friend...mentor if you will...that said he went to the State Science college for electrician program and IBEW would rather have a green-thumb that hasn't had any electric experience so that they can train their way. He said he got called a 'smart alec college boy' until he proved he actually learned something. I hear what you're saying, but I can't afford any courses right now. I'll do independent study and work hard in their schooling. Thanks for the luck! I'm sure I'll need it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I have a family friend...mentor if you will...that said he went to the State Science college for electrician program and IBEW would rather have a green-thumb that hasn't had any electric experience so that they can train their way. He said he got called a 'smart alec college boy' until he proved he actually learned something. I hear what you're saying, but I can't afford any courses right now. I'll do independent study and work hard in their schooling. Thanks for the luck! I'm sure I'll need it :thumbsup:
Done my part...Good luck..

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I believe the term is "greenhorn", "green thumbs" are usually cultivators of some sort of herbal products.
As far as the IBEW looking for "non-experienced" grunts, that's total poppycock, we want people who know the difference between a wirenut, and a wire nut bag. An IBEW apprenticeship is no cost to you, and you get paid while you learn (gotta work for it though)
And, apprentices get work before the journeymen do, without having to show up for "job calls". As far as I know ABC doesn't have a "dispatch", and work isn't always available, unless you already have a job.
(Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sure sounded good though, huh?) Just kidding...(or am I?) :whistling2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the term is "greenhorn", "green thumbs" are usually cultivators of some sort of herbal products.
As far as the IBEW looking for "non-experienced" grunts, that's total poppycock, we want people who know the difference between a wirenut, and a wire nut bag. An IBEW apprenticeship is no cost to you, and you get paid while you learn (gotta work for it though)
And, apprentices get work before the journeymen do, without having to show up for "job calls". As far as I know ABC doesn't have a "dispatch", and work isn't always available, unless you already have a job.
(Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sure sounded good though, huh?) Just kidding...(or am I?) :whistling2:

Thanks for your insight joebanana. March 1st, or so, I am going to Bismarck's Local office to sign up for apprenticeship. I'm excited to get started on learning the trade and working! Tired of busting ass for low pay and no bennys! :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts