Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This is also posted in Apprentice Talk. I hope it's okay to double-post, since these are unlikely to be read by the same people.) Hey there! I am looking for a *recommendation* of a study guide for the PSI Journeyman's Exam. I mean an actual recommendation, so please don't be lazy and send me a link if you can't personally recommend the guide. :) I called a couple of companies that are recommended and one of them say that their guide is general for the NEC, rather than specific to the PSI. I have the codebook to learn the code. I want a study book to help me ace the exam. What worked for you? Thanks!

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
i used holt's. worked for me.

Reactions: TheLivingBubba

·
Registered
165 Posts
(This is also posted in Apprentice Talk. I hope it's okay to double-post, since these are unlikely to be read by the same people.) Hey there! I am looking for a *recommendation* of a study guide for the PSI Journeyman's Exam. I mean an actual recommendation, so please don't be lazy and send me a link if you can't personally recommend the guide. :) I called a couple of companies that are recommended and one of them say that their guide is general for the NEC, rather than specific to the PSI. I have the codebook to learn the code. I want a study book to help me ace the exam. What worked for you? Thanks!
What state?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used holt's. worked for me.
Thank you. Specifically which book(s) from them did you get? When I called Holt's, they couldn't give me a straight answer on what book(s) to get for the PSI.

Should I also buy the set of practice exams?

·
zap
1,339 Posts
Colorado. It's a PSI exam. Thanks!
PSI is just a testing company, they administered my Idaho Jman, Washington Jman, Idaho Masters. They don't write the tests, your state either writes them or approves an outside source. Colorado reciprocates with Idaho so the test are probably similar, the jman tests Ive taken require you to be able to find references in the NEC, true/false, and very few calculations. The best study guide is all your past tests and quizzes, or any generic study course. I wouldn't spend money on a guide or course, theres way to many free ones out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best study guide is all your past tests and quizzes, or any generic study course. I wouldn't spend money on a guide or course, theres way to many free ones out there.
I haven't found any of these at all. Free study courses and quizzes? Everythign seems to cost a small fortune (for someone who isn't working.) Do you have a recommendation?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once you can pass all the exams with a 90%+ you should be ready. http://www.mikeholt.com/free-exams-menu.php
I've seen that but there aren't free exams there. Just the first part of every exam is free, and even then it doesn't show you what the correct answer was.

So I'm still on my first question: what study guide(s) should I get? I know you like Mike Holt but what specific book(s) and sample tests should I order?

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best study guide is all your past tests and quizzes, or any generic study course. I wouldn't spend money on a guide or course, theres way to many free ones out there.
I don't know what you mean by "past tests and quizzes." I haven't taken a test or quiz since I was in school, about 20 years ago.

What book(s) should I order in your opinion, specifically? If you don't know, specifically, then thank you for trying but you don't have an answer for me, since that was very clearly my question.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
PSI, near as I can tell, is a company that is essentially a bunch of proctors.

They impartially stop cheating -- the obviously silly kind of cheating that most folks dream up.

The tests that they administer are so infrequent that no state, no AHJ, can possibly justify establishing an in-house, permanent position.

&&&&

The FIRST and most important material that EVERY electrician ought to master lies within the pages of Ugly's Electrical References.

This is still < $20 all over creation -- including Amazon.

I'm constantly astounded at the guys who blather on about wanting to pass ... but they don't own this pocket answer-book.

A staggering fraction of EVERY electrician's test uses the material within its pages.

If you've got the $$$, then purchase the NEC HANDBOOK.

NOT the NEC codebook -- the Handbook. ~$200+ -- You'll need the hard bound copy. Nothing else will quite do.

Why?

It encompasses the entire NEC -- with the critical extra detail and elaborations that tie all of the Code legalese together so that a fella can actually make sense of it.

This tome is worth far more than classroom time. It sits on your shelf, for years if need be, answering query after query.

If you've ever wondered where the ultra-pros obtain all of their Code insight -- this is usually it. :thumbsup:

·
zap
1,339 Posts
I've seen that but there aren't free exams there. Just the first part of every exam is free, and even then it doesn't show you what the correct answer was.

So I'm still on my first question: what study guide(s) should I get? I know you like Mike Holt but what specific book(s) and sample tests should I order?

Thanks!
I kept track of the questions I knew were right, then completed the free exam. Then tried again and again till I passed with 95%. Write down or screenshot the questions you don't know, then you can come here and ask or google it. The Jman test is lots of looking up code ref like " EMT must be strapped at least every 9 feet, True or False?" or "#10 THHN CU has an ampacity of _____ when installed in a conduit with 6 other conductors?" A. 20 amps B. 15 amps C. 28 amps D. 32 amps

Lots and Lots of general knowledge stuff.

Sorry I can't recommend any books because I'm cheap and would never buy knowledge when I can find it for free on the web or work or coworkers.
But both Tom Henry and Mike Holts are very well respected in the industry so I would think their guides and a little dedication you would be successful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kept track of the questions I knew were right, then completed the free exam.
I still don't see this free exam you're mentioning. As I said, the link you sent me brought me to a place with an exam where the first few questions of each section were free, but not the whole exam. Am I missing something?

·
zap
1,339 Posts
I still don't see this free exam you're mentioning. As I said, the link you sent me brought me to a place with an exam where the first few questions of each section were free, but not the whole exam. Am I missing something?
In the link I gave you there's 825 free code questions between the theory, jmans, masters and code quizzes. Thats a good start, also at one time there was a jmans study guide practice test thread. It was a sticky a few years ago.

It takes a little effort to find knowledge for free but it will also take the same effort to be a successful electrician too, if you catch my drift.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
Your local technical college may have preparation classes designed just for this purpose. Teach you how to pass the test. Prepare you for the test.

I did it this way and was fortunate that they used Tom Henry study materials.
I was able to pass on the first attempt using this method.
Tom Henry!

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
Thank you but specifically *which* books? I've spoken to the people at Tom Henry and they can't give me a straight answer on what books are for what.

What book(s) of Tom Henry's do you recommend?
I'm surprised they could not tell you the main teaching tools (books) they have?
When I took the class, I got a book list that I had to go to the bookstore on campus to buy. Had to have them for the first class.
Also, had to have a test date set to occur right after the class ended.
Tom's videos are great, but are very expensive and optional.
We used the video's in class, so we did not have to buy them. But having your own is the best bet as you can watch over and over. Back up and watch again. I did not buy them.

1) Tabbed and highlighted current code book for JW and Master.
2) Calculations.
3) Master exam workbook.
4) Ohms Law, electrical math and VD calculations.
5) Transformers. (was optional)

Each one above is a Tom Henry publication.
Also, back then we had 3 ring binder code books. Tom had inserts you could put in your code book.
Reminders, key word index*, and one more that I cannot remember.

Ask them when you call back if they know of any classes going on in your area. I just lucked out that they were using Tom Henry at the class I attended for 12 weeks.

Good Luck.

*Easily the most helpful insert he provided. Allowed you to search the code book with ease.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts