Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently created an account with thumbtack. I just accepted a troubleshooting job. Very simple. Probably no installation. Typically I would make it a cash job and not pull a permit. Now that I've accepted a job on thumbtack, there is already a paper trail. Should I pull a permit for this or not.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
Generally you don't need a permit to troubleshoot. Check with the local inspection dept. Around here it is not an issue unless you have to run new wiring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We cannot pull a switch out without a $10.00 permit.It auto finales the next day and they don't even come out?This is only for replacing an existing device up to 10 of all types combined.

About once a year I will get a call to meet the inspector for random inspection on a 1 day permit.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I recently created an account with thumbtack. I just accepted a troubleshooting job. Very simple. Probably no installation. Typically I would make it a cash job and not pull a permit. Now that I've accepted a job on thumbtack, there is already a paper trail. Should I pull a permit for this or not.

Thanks.
I just pulled a permit last week and in the discussion with the inspector we discussed having the local jurisdiction "Have our BACK" so to speak. If an inspection found that I had done something improper I would be glad. Unless you are unqualified, un- certified, or un-licensed, why not just pull the permit and charge the customer. I guarantee you that he...the customer, will hold your feet to the fire if you do something wrong or even if you don't, but can't prove that you did not open that box.

·
Registered
14,539 Posts
Yeah lets go get the government involved to figure out why an outlet doesn't work. :no:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Yeah lets go get the government involved to figure out why an outlet doesn't work. :no:
Years back there was a FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) inspector that would come to do an annual dam inspections that would always say, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Cracked us up every time. :laughing:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I just pulled a permit last week and in the discussion with the inspector we discussed having the local jurisdiction "Have our BACK" so to speak. If an inspection found that I had done something improper I would be glad.
The best term written here was symbiotic , descriptive of the relationship forged

I still believe that's true, or should be true, despite all the experiences i've has contrary to it

~CS~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts