Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else pull feeders alone?

I do it pretty frequently. Sometimes I cannot of course due to 3/0 or larger conductors, but seldom do I use help when it is less than 3/0. What I do make use of is lots of my Greenlee pulleys and sheaves. I got at least a dozen of em , largest ones are around 24" dia., and smallest is about 8 inches or so.
Today I pulled in 225' feeders to some outlying buildings where I had that 17" x 36" underground pull box from the pictures a while back. One direction had 4 x 90 deg bends, and the other 3 90's and some bitty kicks . But it was 2" pvc and I was able to push a whole lot of it , then when it got hard to do that, I went to the other end and pulled the rest in with the pullrope. I find that with good rigging I usually don't have much problem. I also have set up a cctv cam to watch the feed end before when it was a different room in a building at the feed end. I cut the end off a traffic cone to use for guiding in the feeders and ran the tugger on the other end by myself while watching the rope so it didn't cross over itself on the winch while keeping an eye sort of on the other end in case of tangle. That one was 350's and it worked perfect.
Days like today are actually a chit load of fun just because of the rigging I make. This is why I love solo electrical work. Challenge. But when I have to hang 50 light fixtures , not so much..........

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

I do it pretty frequently. Sometimes I cannot of course due to 3/0 or larger conductors, but seldom do I use help when it is less than 3/0. What I do make use of is lots of my Greenlee pulleys and sheaves. I got at least a dozen of em , largest ones are around 24" dia., and smallest is about 8 inches or so.
Today I pulled in 225' feeders to some outlying buildings where I had that 17" x 36" underground pull box from the pictures a while back. One direction had 4 x 90 deg bends, and the other 3 90's and some bitty kicks . But it was 2" pvc and I was able to push a whole lot of it , then when it got hard to do that, I went to the other end and pulled the rest in with the pullrope. I find that with good rigging I usually don't have much problem. I also have set up a cctv cam to watch the feed end before when it was a different room in a building at the feed end. I cut the end off a traffic cone to use for guiding in the feeders and ran the tugger on the other end by myself while watching the rope so it didn't cross over itself on the winch while keeping an eye sort of on the other end in case of tangle. That one was 350's and it worked perfect.
Days like today are actually a chit load of fun just because of the rigging I make. This is why I love solo electrical work. Challenge. But when I have to hang 50 light fixtures , not so much..........
Good man..:thumbsup:

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
I am the same way but people drive me nuts. Ill show this to dad I have been threatening to replace him with a pulley latley.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,985 Posts

Cheapskate.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,023 Posts
The traffic cone idea is awesome:thumbup:

Reactions: Jah Electric

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Mike, I love working alone almost as much as you do. But, man that is a lot of work to keep from hiring someone for a few hours.

Reactions: denny3992

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I've pulled in a lotta UG services alone Mac, here's a recent CL find adding to the sheave pile>

~CS~

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chicken Steve, I used to own one of these babies but that was back in the days when I had a crew to help me , and lots of paying work that it was required to own rigs like this.

It is for underground vaults. I sold all the stuff that was too large to keep around long time ago.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts

All this stuff to read and think about the setup and not one pic to show us it really did happen...

Sorry.. but I only believe what I can see.. there are too many conspiracy theories out there... :rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
B4T said:
All this stuff to read and think about the setup and not one pic to show us it really did happen... Sorry.. but I only believe what I can see.. there are too many conspiracy theories out there... :rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbup:
Just curious, have you ever seen an electron?

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All this stuff to read and think about the setup and not one pic to show us it really did happen...

Sorry.. but I only believe what I can see.. there are too many conspiracy theories out there... :rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbup:
Tough. I just had too much to do today to bother with taken pics, although I knew I would regret it. Really not much to see anyway, just used some scrap lumber 2x8" x 12' long that was laying around on the jobsite to support the sheave over the service disconnects. Nailed a cross 2x4 to it at the top to keep it from twisting. That, and it was also a muddy mess outside today so I didn't want to fetch out the Ipad cause I was kinda muddy myself.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
But it was 2" pvc and I was able to push a whole lot of it , then when it got hard to do that, I went to the other end and pulled the rest in with the pullrope.
I'm curious Mike, when you push in can you just let the pullrope bunch up inside the conduit?

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm curious Mike, when you push in can you just let the pullrope bunch up inside the conduit?
No not for long. So I get to walk over to the other end to pull out the rope slack bout every ten to twenty feet. I'll be the first one to admit it works better with two guys on this, but I work alone so it is what it is. My point is that it is do-able. So many other electricians I meet think it is impossible to accomplish.
Not that hard to do at all really, just not as slick as multiple crew can.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
My best is about 90' of #2 by myself with the panel in the same room. But much respect to you I love working by myself and feel like I could if had to do just about everything by myself. Or better yet if my boss would let me. When I started my last project a $1.3 million new but small school, I looked at the prints and said. "okay, it'll take me 3-1/2 years tondo by myself".

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ya I worked for a small company for many years, when I needed help the owner would come(or said he would) work for me if the job wasn't big enough to hire. He would harldy ever show, I ended up pulling by myself many times. Long pulls, short pulls, big and small wire. Also ran a lot of 2 and 3" rigid by myself overhead, and that really makes you rethink how you do your hangers.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
This looks like a nice addition for pulling by yourself..
I'm normally alone and wish I could talk them into something like this.
I wonder if they have a gold plated version?

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
This looks like a nice addition for pulling by yourself..
I'm normally alone and wish I could talk them into something like this.
I wonder if they have a gold plated version?
We have one of these, and two of the bigger maxis 10k tuggers on the cart. They work well, even on big jobs where manpower is not a problem. Easier than mounting a tugger, though sometimes its just necessary. The small maxis is excellent for smaller stuff thats usually pulled in with two guys by hand.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
The working in a tropical paradise part is what makes it all doable. :thumbsup:

Pulling feeders with a helper can still make the blood pressure rise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts