Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, not an electrician here but do know have knowledge of circuitry.

So in my house I want to add some LED lights to the garage. The problem is that there are no existing circuits that are available for me to tap into. I'm exploring the option of using the power from my outdoor lights. There are 3 outdoor lights on the front of my home. The 3 lights are controlled by a 3-way switch setup (see first picture). The first switch, which gets the mains is located by the main front door of the house and is inaccessible. The second switch is located by the garage entry door. The garage outdoor light (light 1) is physically located right by the garage entry door about a foot above the second switch. Since the switch by the garage door gets the hot wire but has no neutral, I was thinking of grabbing the neutral from the Garage Light 1. The hot wire (from switch) and neutral wire (from light) would be routed to a new electrical box which has the switch for the LED lights (See second image). Doing this way will separate the LED lights/switch from the 3-way circuit. The new switch would be located right beside the garage door light switch.

Question for you guys, have you guys done any type of wiring like this before? I'm not sure if it is a regular occurrence to grab a hot and neutral from two separate branches. Looking to learn. Thanks.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
1. You are not an electrician

2. This is an electrical professionals forum

No electrician would even contemplate what you are considering.

Please go to our sister site www.diychatroom.com

·
Estwing magic
25,095 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.