Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow we've ended up with a 1000 foot reel of 4/0 SER for the current job I'm on. Leftover from another job I suppose. I have always used 500 foot reels and do not have jack stands that jack up high enough for the 1000 footer. This may seem like a dumb question I just wanted to see if any of you guys have encountered the same thing and how you managed it. I do not want to buy new jack stands at this moment. only thing that comes to my mind is to build a platform for each stand out of cinder blocks. just don't know how stable this will be. any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well I guess there is no Lull on the job (high reach fork)?
How about two platform lifts with a pipe between them. Or two Trucks or vans?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Somehow we've ended up with a 1000 foot reel of 4/0 SER for the current job I'm on. Leftover from another job I suppose. I have always used 500 foot reels and do not have jack stands that jack up high enough for the 1000 footer. This may seem like a dumb question I just wanted to see if any of you guys have encountered the same thing and how you managed it.
I'd call the project manager or whoever is appropriate to send you the larger jack stands needed to accommodate the larger reels of cable. Don't forget to get extra chain and lock if applicable.

I do not want to buy new jack stands at this moment. only thing that comes to my mind is to build a platform for each stand out of cinder blocks. just don't know how stable this will be. any feedback is appreciated.
Why would you have to buy them?

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
Somehow we've ended up with a 1000 foot reel of 4/0 SER for the current job I'm on. Leftover from another job I suppose.
You don't seem very sure as to where this reel of cable came from. You sure it wasn't stolen? You don't want to get accused of that!

I have always used 500 foot reels and do not have jack stands that jack up high enough for the 1000 footer. This may seem like a dumb question I just wanted to see if any of you guys have encountered the same thing and how you managed it. I do not want to buy new jack stands at this moment. only thing that comes to my mind is to build a platform for each stand out of cinder blocks. just don't know how stable this will be. any feedback is appreciated.
Before I purchased racks in the warehouse for these reels we would roll them into an open utility trailer. The sides of the trailer were just high enough to get the reel couple of inches off the floor. We used Kindorf on the edge of the trailer with 2'' straps to hold the rigid pipe in place.

Our warehouse reel rack:

FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
only thing that comes to my mind is to build a platform for each stand out of cinder blocks..
:laughing:

If you pour a footing, stub up some rebar and fill the blocks with grout, you will be fine.

I'm still laughing at the thought of stacked cinder blocks being stable for a load like this :laughing:

It would be fairly simple and safe to build a couple of roller type "stands" that the spool sits in. Or you could lay the spool on it's side and make a a spinning caster type.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts

If you pour a footing, stub up some rebar and fill the blocks with grout, you will be fine.

I'm still laughing at the thought of stacked cinder blocks being stable for a load like this :laughing:

It would be fairly simple and safe to build a couple of roller type "stands" that the spool sits in. Or you could lay the spool on it's side and make a a spinning caster type.
Oh please. 1000 ft spool is not that big, amd the stand have at least 24"-36" of reach. We're probably only talking one, or possibly two courses of block. One single cinder block will jack up my 10,000 lb truck. You guys are being condescending for no reason. Two courses of block being unstable? Pfffttt ....I could lift up a house with that.

·
Registered
254 Posts

I really don't see anything wrong with his suggestion. As long as it's done in the proper manner, there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
18,443 Posts
If my calculations are correct, you are just under 1000 lbs.
If I were going cheap and easy, I would set it up between two sets of pallets.
Or, have my good friend at the supply house split the reel for me.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
It's not about the weight, it's about the sheer while pulling the cable.

I was thinking it would take 4 courses to get to spindle height.

Maybe I was being too judgmental but I would find a more stable option than stacking blocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts