Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are pulling 3 hots , neutral, and a ground, what factors do you use to determine what size rope to you use, and when a pulling machine is required?

Example;

4/0 copper wires 3 hots, neutral, and ground, 5 (90's) , 130' run, 2" conduit?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,867 Posts
If you are pulling 3 hots , neutral, and a ground, what factors do you use to determine what size rope to you use, and when a pulling machine is required?

Example;

That much wire through 5 90s would be a pretty hard pull. I'd use a 3/4" rope, a sock, and the 8,000 lb. tugger.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts

Example;

5 - 90's???? Who piped that run?

Reactions: MechanicalDVR

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There's probably a straight thru pull point somewhere in that run. Instead of setting up the tugger twice, pull it all at once. The pull point would be so the inspector likes it.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts

Example;

I'd use the biggest rope I had for that one.:thumbup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wire that size at that length yes, I'd get the rope and tugger. I think up to #1 I'd try to kill myself and a couple others that don't usually make production pulling it by hand.

The older heads tell me I'm killing myself, but I still got all this piss and vinegar
:(

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
I use everything else to determine when...how much manpower is available, what is best for the conditions, what equipment do I have on hand etc. I tend toward using machines for things that can hurt backs and shoulders so by default I go for the tugger when it is available.

Considering minimum conduit size for 5 4/0's is bigger than your 2" pipe and you are over on the number of bends I would use the biggest tugger you have ( or redo the conduit properly ).

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I use everything else to determine when...how much manpower is available, what is best for the conditions, what equipment do I have on hand etc. I tend toward using machines for things that can hurt backs and shoulders so by default I go for the tugger when it is available.

Considering minimum conduit size for 5 4/0's is bigger than your 2" pipe and you are over on the number of bends I would use the biggest tugger you have ( or redo the conduit properly ).
Good catch. If you can use the conduit as the GEC, 4 4/0's do fit in 2" EMT.

·
Premium Member
19,744 Posts

Example;

I would go with the biggest rope that would fit. I routinely use a 7/8 rope. It would pull that small run in with no problem at all.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

Example;

I'd have the person who ran the conduit pull in the wire. Especially with 5 90's.:eek:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...there is nothing wrong with 5 (90's) in a conduit run, its done everyday. There is a C condulet at 360 degrees , so its up to code.

Focus on the question that most seemed to avoid, when do you pull out the tugger and how do you determine the size rope to use.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
...there is nothing wrong with 5 (90's) in a conduit run, its done everyday. There is a C condulet at 360 degrees , so its up to code.

Focus on the question that most seemed to avoid, when do you pull out the tugger and how do you determine the size rope to use.
There is no magic formula - it comes down to what do you have to work with?

For me...biggest rope and whatever tugger is available because my back is worth way more than the time it takes to set them up. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
...there is nothing wrong with 5 (90's) in a conduit run, its done everyday. ....
The NEC does not agree with you. Just because I safely navigate I-40 at 95 MPH does not mean there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

Your example sucks....:whistling2:

5-90's plus you're over on fill even figuring it with emt.:rolleyes:

We quit pulling 4/0 in 2" a few years ago because it's a total pain in the ass no matter what you're pulling with. It goes so much easier in 2.5"+....

But to answer your original question, if it's underground or outside, we'd most likely use our pole truck with 2500'+ of 1/2" cable on a winch with a sock or Maxxis grips. If inside, we have an ultra tugger and a few ropes around 3/4" along with a sock or maxxis grips. This isn't real world though, since the conduit is undersized I know the grips wouldn't fit, I doubt a sock would either. Oversized pipe makes my job much easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts