Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not new theyve been out for a year or so.
My buddy has a Chevy suburban 2014 with 54k on it.
He has only used the Royal Purple oil and recently ran 17k on one of Purplator's BOSS filters. :eek:

His mechanic said his truck is in better shape than most 2015s.....

Just a thought. 17k between oil changes? Sheeeeesh what a Jew.:001_huh:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Any info on how they stack up to a top of the line from other brands?

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
I have a 2012 Civic ... recommends synthetic with oil changes @ 12K

Any mechanic I've talked to says not to go that long.

I guess we'll see... synthetic is newer technology. Let's see if engines mileage actually increases !

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts

Any mechanic I've talked to says not to go that long.

I guess we'll see... synthetic is newer technology. Let's see if engines mileage actually increases !
Always changed the oil and filter in my vehicles every 3k, longest I've gone is 4k.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
Always changed the oil and filter in my vehicles every 3k, longest I've gone is 4k.
Is that with conventional oil ?

I've always gone with 5K miles with 6 or 8 cylinders, and 3 -4 with 4 bangers.

With my new civic on synthetic, I've been going with 6K miles. (which is sooner than what is recommended)

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I change at 7,500 using semi-synthetic and OEM filter. That used to be the suggested interval in my car until they now bumped it up to every 10,000 or once a year.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Is that with conventional oil ?

I've always gone with 5K miles with 6 or 8 cylinders, and 3 -4 with 4 bangers.

With my new civic on synthetic, I've been going with 6K miles. (which is sooner than what is recommended)
Yes that is with conventional oil, I've been told many times not to use synthetic on low mileage engines as you want some wear in. My 2006 Jeep has just turned 50k and I may use synthetic the next time around. We normally have at least three vehicles between the two of us and mileage stays low.

Reactions: emtnut

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 94 ranger is due for a full tune up always worry which oil to pick heard plenty swear by mobile 1 full synthetic?? Any input? And prayers for changing the 8 plugs

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
My 94 ranger is due for a full tune up always worry which oil to pick heard plenty swear by mobile 1 full synthetic?? Any input? And prayers for changing the 8 plugs
With a '94 Ranger, you can get by with oil from the recycling center.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was getting people to believe that they need to change their oil every 3,000 miles. And when I say the devil, I mean the oil companies.

There is so much evidence showing that oil is still pretty much brand new at 3,000 miles that it just doesn't make sense.

My personal vehicles get 10k oil changes and my Sprinter gets 15K. All synthetic.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
Yes that is with conventional oil, I've been told many times not to use synthetic on low mileage engines as you want some wear in. My 2006 Jeep has just turned 50k and I may use synthetic the next time around. We normally have at least three vehicles between the two of us and mileage stays low.
This is my first time using synthetic .... For warranty, had to use 0W-20 synthetic from new.

From what they say, the synthetic can go longer between changes, but you have to use the 'synthetic' filter as well ... guess it holds more tiny metal bits ?

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was getting people to believe that they need to change their oil every 3,000 miles. And when I say the devil, I mean the oil companies.

There is so much evidence showing that oil is still pretty much brand new at 3,000 miles that it just doesn't make sense.

My personal vehicles get 10k oil changes and my Sprinter gets 15K. All synthetic.
I always heard 5000 miles ... When they made the change to 3K, that was for the 4 cylinders ... makes sense ... I guess they work harder ?

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
I'm sorry, but your membership to ET is being suspended until you
buy a proper vehicle which consumes atleast 12L/100kms. Bonus
points if it's replacement is unreliable.

Honda Civic equals commie [email protected]!
P&L

Reactions: emtnut

·
Average Member
76 Posts
My 96 Ranger has 87000 and my uncle who is a Ford mechanic put conventional in it. It also just had the 8 factory original plugs replaced! I guess every 100000 miles for plugs or when they get that old!

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a scary subject I was looking around under the hood and noticed the plug wires said 1994 I'm guessing that original? Had me wondering if the plugs have ever been replaced.... I'll find out this weekend

1 - 20 of 42 Posts