Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
BC - Commercial Apprentice Electrician
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the purpose of the green/bare bonding wire in most scenarios is to bond things that shouldn't be an electrical path so it creates a direct short, a path directly onto the ground bar, which is tied to neutral at main service which creates direct short neutral to line and the high amperage activates the circuit breaker.

So in all of that I don't see the point of a rod/plate. The fault current isn't going into 'ground' . The bond wires purpose is just to be a path back to neutral at main service so why even have rods/plates past the transformers from utility?

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
1,005 Posts
It is all about equipotential bonding (reference the story of dairy cows not going into the barn to be milked)
as in you want the dirt you are standing on (as well as any pipes etc. in the house that are also bonded) to be at the same potential as the supply neutral/ground potential.
other wise there is a small possibility of a small difference of potential, as in a barefoot child curious about the meter and/or breaker panel could get a mild shock on a wet day

It is also about draining a lightening strike coming in from the line (personal experience, it is not always good at that)

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
1,005 Posts
If you are an electrician, you need to finish filling out your profile. otherwise the moderators wont let you post in here as this forum is for pros only

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,698 Posts
The reason we ground is to stabilize voltage to ground and protect from lighting or other high voltage transients on the system. This is explained in the NEC I just forget where ATM.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
The purpose is to separate you from your hard earned cash. How many times have we gone to places where the GEC is cut or broken and the site has no issues. In our dry gravel they serve no purpose. Even the NEC knows this, otherwise they wouldn’t stop at two.

·
Registered
32,051 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the purpose of the green/bare bonding wire in most scenarios is to bond things that shouldn't be an electrical path so it creates a direct short, a path directly onto the ground bar, which is tied to neutral at main service which creates direct short neutral to line and the high amperage activates the circuit breaker.

So in all of that I don't see the point of a rod/plate. The fault current isn't going into 'ground' . The bond wires purpose is just to be a path back to neutral at main service so why even have rods/plates past the transformers from utility?
If a Ground Rod/Plate was so important there would not be some random number set for ohms resistance to Earth. One rod and the resistance has to be less than 25 ohms, higher than 25 ohms you have to drive a second rod Yet if you drive two rods and your resistance to Earth could be 10,000 ohms and the code could care less.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,294 Posts
I suggest the Soar's Book on Grounding to help you understand the terms better.
You are mixing bonding and grounding, there is a difference.
250 of the NEC is hard to understand in the beginning. Not sure where grounding and bonding is in the Canadian code.

·
Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
193 Posts
I suggest the Soar's Book on Grounding to help you understand the terms better.
You are mixing bonding and grounding, there is a difference.
250 of the NEC is hard to understand in the beginning. Not sure where grounding and bonding is in the Canadian code.
That book, is a very good read.

Section 10 in the CEC for grounding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts