Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at trade school not too long ago and one of the instructor's brought out a high watt lightbulb, I don't remember exactly but over 1000. HE says it was found, in series, in a farmer's barn where the wire ran to the roof and wondered what purpose it could possibly have.

My only thought was some sort of primitive lightning detection system made by someone who didn't know what sort of issues a lightning strike would cause running through a lightbulb and exploding it into a mist of extremely hot parts, OR some guy's experiment that has no rhyme or reason.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Primitive de-icing system? Heating wire run on the roof, bulb in series used as a current limiter. I've seen them use that to keep drinking troughs ice free.

Reactions: CoolWill

·
Registered
507 Posts
My dad used to talk about using a bulb like this to keep the cows in. They would unscrew the bulb so the cow could get up and walk (wobble) away. The power going through the fence wire depended on the wattage of the bulb.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Consensus here seems to be some sort of current-limiting device for an electric fence? But why would you limit it's current with a giant lightbulb, isn't there easier ways?

·
Banned
4,675 Posts
Consensus here seems to be some sort of current-limiting device for an electric fence? But why would you limit it's current with a giant lightbulb, isn't there easier ways?
Lets say the fence goes dead short to ground... The worst that happens is the bulb lights. Sounds about as easy as it gets. I wouldnt use 1000 watts though. Any lamp would work to shock livestock, and if it does short, you don't want to wastet a lot of power driving a big bulb.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets say the fence goes dead short to ground... The worst that happens is the bulb lights. Sounds about as easy as it gets. I wouldnt use 1000 watts though. Any lamp would work to shock livestock, and if it does short, you don't want to wastet a lot of power driving a big bulb.
Yeah cause it was a bigass bulb. 1000 W minimum.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was probably a very primitive voltage regulator.
Like the old style baretta tubes

View attachment 138570
I don't know enough, or am old enough, to dispute it's purpose as an old voltage regulator but it also looks nothing like the bulb you posted. It looked like a standard lightbulb, with the normal threaded base, I believe it was a metal halide but don't quote me.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It doesn't really matter what it looks like,
But incandesant light bulbs can be used as a crude regulator
And they were used around the twenties I think,
They were called baretta tubes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts