Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have finally decided to hop on board here, I have spent quite a lot of time reading here already. I'm 19, was pretty sure I wanted to do a trade before I got out of high school, but gave college a try based on everyone's advice. I pretty quickly relized it is not for me as I thought. I really enjoy hands on work, and have always been interested in electrical. So I have applied for the IBEW inside wireman apprenticeship and take the aptitude test in a couple weeks. So hopefully I will soon continue the path to being an electrician.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hey all, I have finally decided to hop on board here, I have spent quite a lot of time reading here already. I'm 19, was pretty sure I wanted to do a trade before I got out of high school, but gave college a try based on everyone's advice. I pretty quickly relized it is not for me as I thought. I really enjoy hands on work, and have always been interested in electrical. So I have applied for the IBEW inside wireman apprenticeship and take the aptitude test in a couple weeks. So hopefully I will soon continue the path to being an electrician.

Welcome aboard, Good luck on the aptitude test :thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I feel pretty confident since from everything I have read the test is signifigantly math based, and I probably better than average at math. But I don't won't to get overconfident, I intend to review for it.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Thanks! I feel pretty confident since from everything I have read the test is significantly math based, and I probably better than average at math. But I don't won't to get overconfident, I intend to review for it.
That's good! Always be confident in yourself and never let anyone tell you otherwise, there are many challenges to overcome to be an electrician. Take those challenges and beat them all, we all do it and you should have no problem either.

The day you wake up without a challenge, you will be face up, looking at dirt!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just got the letter stating that I have been scheduled for an interview the 20th! I was wondering though, I am pretty certain I did quite well on the test, what I have read says the interview carries the most wait, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea how much doing well on the test might help my chances or if it's negligable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
First off, congratulations on scoring an interview. :thumbsup:

Now, the apprenticeship will take everything about you into account (prior electrical experience, aptitude score, interview score) and rank you among the other candidates.

So to answer your question, yes, your score on the aptitude test will impact your rank.

Tell them that you're not interested in a job, you're looking for a career. And if that's not true, then you should think about doing something else.

Check back in and let us know if you've been accepted. Best of luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly will let you all know how it goes. And as for the last part I very much would like this to be a career. If I don't get in this time I am going to look until I can find a contractor to get experience with and re apply. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I certainly will let you all know how it goes. And as for the last part I very much would like this to be a career. If I don't get in this time I am going to look until I can find a contractor to get experience with and re apply. Thank you for the advice!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, just got my letter and unfortunately didn't get in this round. I would guess I didn't do great on the interview, and I have had no official experience in construction or electrical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts