Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The push in connectors by wago require a spring to hold the conductor. It is my understanding that the wago type has more contact area then a backstabbed rec. My question is if backstabbing a rec is illegal why doesn't a push in connector pose the same safety issues.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
The push in connectors by wago require a spring to hold the conductor. It is my understanding that the wago type has more contact area then a backstabbed rec. My question is if backstabbing a rec is illegal why doesn't a push in connector pose the same safety issues.
Only #12 wire is banned...

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Probably not a good practice. Code was ammended due to knowing the load on a 20 amp circuit in certain circumstances generated enough heat to detemper the springs allowing for even more problems. Why risk it. Age and possibility of overloaded circuits make it seem risky in my book.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
It takes 10 more seconds to bend the loops and do a solid install. Not a big loss.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Worked with a EC that tossed all wagos, nutted em. So much for the UL hahaha

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
invictus said:
I loved using wagos for low voltage but see em in fixtures, from the factory, alot
wondered how they hold up to the test of time?
Keep in mind, wagos installed in a fixture do not experience the movement created by plugging and unplugging cords into a back stabbed receptacle.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Meh, I haven't had any problems with wagos. I don't buy them tough, but if they are in a fixture I still use them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've used wago's exclusively for a few years now. I love em.

Yup, Wago are just fine......Talk too me in 20 years or so and that Carpel Tunnel syndrome kicks in. I used to only use on non-current carrying loads, now on all 15a-20a. loads, and NEVER one call back for problems.....:whistling2:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
There's no way a piece of spring steel is better than a copper to copper connection with a wire nut. I admit wagos are huge time savers and I like using them on ballast changes. But that's as far as I'll go with trusting them.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
not get off the 'no wago' bandwagon, but wirenuts have a sping in them:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts