Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to find a way to get a 3/4 corline and a 3/4 PVC in a concrete box? Some sugestions i have had so far is to couple a peice of coreline onto the PVC coming in and just use a standard concrete slab box for coreline. The only problem i have with that is i dont know if you can bury that coupling in concrete.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

There is a 3/4 PVC coming from a residential house to a new concrete retaining wall with lights in it so i would like to put the pvc into the first octagon slab box and jump coreline between the others just i dont know how to get a box or couple the pvc to make it to code.

Any Help Appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I’m not Canadian!

I had to look up the product of Corline! I’ve unknowing used this product only in respects inside work, that was internal and external to interior machines but would never use this product outside! Having said this, I don’t know all the listing (IE CA Code requirements) of this product and the matching connecters). Besides, the fitting as shown in the link (in my opinion) just won’t cut it for concrete or underground submersion. Now maybe I’m just totally wrong about all this, EH! J

I would continue with the PVC out from the wall to another PVC fiberglass rated box(s) as shown in this link. I would get as low as possible quickly and get in the bottom of rock foundation below the concrete or whatever depth is required by the conduits location.

You have to do the math as to the amount of total boxes you will need. I’d leave all the PVC conduits stubbed up above finish grade, and express to the owner, GC, and the concrete guy that you will align to finish grade and need to secure and set them with a few days notice ahead of time. If it to be planted you can start when someone levels out to grade and before planting!

Hope that helps!

Be sure to read the data sheets for NEMA rating an CSA approvals on fibrglass boxes...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Haven't worked with Cor-Line much myself but i know you can connect Cor-Line to PVC or even EMT with the right fittings. IPEX makes the Cor-Line and they also make a majority of the pvc pipe in Canada so the fittings should be fairly easy to come by.

The most common method of connecting Cor-line to PVC pipe that i've seen is just using pipe glue. :) Same size of Cor-Line into the Same size bell end of pvc pipe, both made of pvc, doesn't come apart without a sawzall. Not sure if this is an official install method, but i'm sure IPEX would prefer you to buy their fittings. I don't really see it ever coming apart once it's buried.

IPEX Cor-Line

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m not Canadian!

I had to look up the product of Corline! I’ve unknowing used this product only in respects inside work, that was internal and external to interior machines but would never use this product outside! Having said this, I don’t know all the listing (IE CA Code requirements) of this product and the matching connecters). Besides, the fitting as shown in the link (in my opinion) just won’t cut it for concrete or underground submersion. Now maybe I’m just totally wrong about all this, EH! J
just looked at the link you provided pretty sure thats no the stuff he is talking about added a link to my post for information purposes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Like D-fi said, just stick the end of the core line in to the PVC bell end and glue it. I've done it a bunch and it works great.

I'd much rather use core line in the walls and concrete than PVC, just make sure you keep it tight and tie it often so when the concrete is poured in to the wall it doesn't break it or make it so "wavey" that it's tough to pull through. Lots of ripples will make it really tough to get a fish tape through. ...Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
In a wall I guess it doesnt matter and you can just use a corline connector... think I've seen them at the wholesaler before. Usually stub up all of the corline I've done with pvc stub-ups (90 with a stick on the one end) if concealed and ridged steel if exposed (and exposed to damage). Using the method already mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.