Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these UL listed to be used with schedule 40, or 80 PVC also besides pvc coated rigid ?

·
Senior Moment
7,771 Posts
That would fall under the manufacturers listing. Whats the box say?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a box of them. Does anyone know where I can find literature stating that these type of straps cannot be used? Schedule 40 and schedule 80 conduit are Rigid conduit. Some may say since pvc rigid conduit unistrut straps are for rigid pipe and pvc is rigid pipe then they may be used. ??? I need to show literature showing that it's either not UL, or manufacturer listed for the application.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these UL listed to be used with schedule 40, or 80 PVC also besides pvc coated rigid ?
Not likely. Straps for PVC conduit have to let the conduit slide because of the thermal expansion and contraction issues.
We use Stainless/Metal Heavywall straps or Rigid straps with PVC and I believe this is acceptable. The contraction and expansion which is written in the code book is very vague.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went down this road last year Bullet , thread is here , made on heck of a mess too! ~CS~
Thanks a lot.
Did you wind up using PVC coated unistrut straps with schedule 40/80 ? Was this acceptable to the inspector ? I only have vertical runs from ground up to 4'.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Thanks a lot.
Did you wind up using PVC coated unistrut straps with schedule 40/80 ? Was this acceptable to the inspector ? I only have vertical runs from ground up to 4'.
Yes i did use pvc coated unistrut clamps on sch 40/80 bullet. It was acceptable to the ahj because pvc coated were listed. Know that they are expensive and not as available as normal strut clamps.

~CS~

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there going to be a listing saying that these are acceptable or it's just the AHJ who will decide whether to accept that or have me change it to stainless strut straps. I really wanted to see it in writing from the manufacturer or see it listed as for use with pvc also

·
Premium Member
18,466 Posts
No short run 4' out of the ground to bottom of equipment mounted on stainless strut racks.

If these ar
I think it would be a very good practice to strap it tight in this situation.
Is the conduit emerging out of concrete or is it an underground run coming up out of soil/ gravel?

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Expansion and contraction of 4 feet of pipe is nothing to be concerned about. If it's hard fastened in the middle, then you're talking about expansion and contraction in two 2' sections and that's even less to worry about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I assume this means that these straps are UL listed to be used with PVC sch 80. Where does it say in the code that I can't use an EMT strap for schedule 80 conduit. Because this seems like an issue with using the correct materials.

·
Premium Member
18,466 Posts
So I assume this means that these straps are UL listed to be used with PVC sch 80. Where does it say in the code that I can't use an EMT strap for schedule 80 conduit. Because this seems like an issue with using the correct materials.
I think you are going to find the code says something like securely fastened.
I might be more like "does it fit" nothing I the code says we have to use unistrut, it's just easy to use. Not cheap but, easy.

·
Premium Member
18,466 Posts
I don't think you are going to find any kind of electrical NRTL listing on strut straps. They are considered hardware. You are going to have to look at what the conduit manufacturer tested the conduit with. I suspect it will be very vague.
I think you are looking for something that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I think it would be a very good practice to strap it tight in this situation.
Is the conduit emerging out of concrete or is it an underground run coming up out of soil/ gravel?
Expansion and contraction of 4 feet of pipe is nothing to be concerned about. If it's hard fastened in the middle, then you're talking about expansion and contraction in two 2' sections and that's even less to worry about.
If coming out of freshly disturbed soil, wouldn't an expansion fitting be a good idea for soil shrinkage issues?

·
Lurker...
475 Posts
I don't think you are going to find any kind of electrical NRTL listing on strut straps. They are considered hardware. You are going to have to look at what the conduit manufacturer tested the conduit with. I suspect it will be very vague.
I think you are looking for something that doesn't exist.

Actually, there are NRTL Listings on all cable and conduit straps, beam clamps, and other related support hardware. Applicable products are manufactured to UL2239 - "Hardware for the Support of Conduit, Tubing, and Cable.", and also in the UL Whitebook as DWMU - "CONDUIT AND CABLE HARDWARE".

Many jurisdictions around the country are requiring Listed products to support conduit and MC/AC cable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts