Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service upgrade, ec suggests using pvc for riser (perhaps mast too?) Customer is leaning toward rigid since that's whats on the house now and is standard in the area.

Any pros and cons between the two material as you see it?

Customer is naturally hesitant to use PVC esp for the mast winds, the elements etc.....

what about labor costs?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
mwr said:
Service upgrade, ec suggests using pvc for riser (perhaps mast too?) Customer is leaning toward rigid since that's whats on the house now and is standard in the area. Any pros and cons between the two material as you see it? Customer is naturally hesitant to use PVC esp for the mast winds, the elements etc..... what about labor costs?
Tell your uncle PVC can be used as a riser, but not as a mast.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only time we use PVC in place of a mast is when the house is a bungalow and when there is a big azz angle iron shooting through the roof, from a previous installation.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell your uncle PVC can be used as a riser, but not as a mast.
You know where I am coming from brother, thank you.

So its not hackery to use pvc as the riser between meter and mast but still have rigid between meter and panel?

Also what is the requirement for size of riser... he has 100A and I think his riser is 1.5".... that usually gets increased to 2" right?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
mwr said:
You know where I am coming from brother, thank you. So its not hackery to use pvc as the riser between meter and mast but still have rigid between meter and panel? Also what is the requirement for size of riser... he has 100A and I think his riser is 1.5".... that usually gets increased to 2" right?
Honestly, I've never had to do a riser setup, and I predominantly do SE cable for risers or go underground. I'd have to bust out a code book to figure out sizing. If it is a mast, then just do all rigid. If it is a tall riser to mast setup, I have seen pics of guys on here going EMT for the riser portion and switching to rigid for the mast, but I don't really see the point for a regular mast setup. I have a feeling you run into bonding issues trying to switch from PVC to RMC anyway.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
mwr said:
Service upgrade, ec suggests using pvc for riser (perhaps mast too?) Customer is leaning toward rigid since that's whats on the house now and is standard in the area. Any pros and cons between the two material as you see it? Customer is naturally hesitant to use PVC esp for the mast winds, the elements etc..... what about labor costs?
there is nothing wrong with using pvc for a riser.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Service upgrade, ec suggests using pvc for riser (perhaps mast too?) Customer is leaning toward rigid since that's whats on the house now and is standard in the area.

Any pros and cons between the two material as you see it?

Customer is naturally hesitant to use PVC esp for the mast winds, the elements etc.....

what about labor costs?
You might want to find out why rigid is standard in the area.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might want to find out why rigid is standard in the area.

I assumed because its an old area that's all. The POCO does allow PVC but I cant find the size requirments....

Going from 1.5 to 2" must be a poco and not nec or ahj then....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts