Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
finished my apperenticeship 3 1/2 years ago got my 236 part [email protected] electrical installation and my nvq 2 in the same, plus an nvq 3 in electrical and mechanical maintenance plus 2 sub units basic pneumatics and basic maintenance.
been working for a company for 3 years as a maintenance electrician and just asked for a pay rise as i'm only on 7.85 an hour the other guys ar on about 10quid. they have just started to question my qualifications i dont see a problem but would like thoughts on the matter am i qualified?

·
Don't like know it alls
377 Posts
Hi bud

I would say you are qualified ! its just your company not wanting to pay you the going rate.
I'm not up to speed on maint electricians rates or the qualifications to do it.
C&G 236 part 1 & 2 are installation certificates.

Would you say that these certs are adequate for your job ? Daft question really as the certificates don't make you do the job any easier,it only indicates you have the technical ability to do the job.

I'm JIB graded so i don't have any hassles with wages,its a set rate and thats it.

In a nutshell m8 its someone at your company being a tight git !

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Speed.

You seem to be technically well qualified for the job. But as Chris says, are you able to do the job. If the answer is yes then get the foreman on your side and push for the increase. Maintenance electrical work is out of the general scope of the JIB but if you want to really confound your boss then take the CGLI Electrical Fitters Course (Sorry no number to hand) and this will show definitively that you are well qualified.

Frank

·
Don't like know it alls
377 Posts
Heres an extract from my JIB book bud.

You fit into most of these statements.

The Joint Industry Board

1.3: ELECTRICIAN

Qualification and Training
Must satisfy the following conditions:-

(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of
training and have had adequate practical training in electrical installation work.

(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved
equivalent) - see Note 1.

(3) Must have obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation
Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent.

Note 1: If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an
NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be
awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation
Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent)

(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with
the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting
evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may
be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and
suitability.

So reading the the above seems to back up then fact that you are qualified as an installation electrician.

I would seriously consider taking Franks suggestion on board m8,show them you got what it takes !

Regards

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.