Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they wind MC such that you have to pull it from the inside of the coil in order to go along with the ridges? I figure there must be some reason for this. I have heard that pulling from the inside of the coil makes it less likely to kink, but I'm not sure if that's true. I have also heard that you can request for 1000 foot coils to be reverse wound so that you take from the outside in order to pull along with the ridges.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can ask for reverse wound MC believe it or not. I have done it in the past with fairly large commercial projects, it is the way too go. No extra $$ if you order enough of it! Otherwise, yeh sucks to pull thru steel studs.:censored:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
With MC, it will only go through steel studs in one direction. If it is catching on every stud, trying pulling from the other end. Seems to work better.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Even pulling it reverse wound it sucks on the first stud pulling it through. I just rip off a piece of cardboard from a box, and u it in the first punch out. Seems to help a bunch.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Even pulling it reverse wound it sucks on the first stud pulling it through. I just rip off a piece of cardboard from a box, and u it in the first punch out. Seems to help a bunch.
Can't say I've had too many problems as long as all the studs are arranged the same way.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
With MC, it will only go through steel studs in one direction. If it is catching on every stud, trying pulling from the other end. Seems to work better.
Yeah.

You want to pull thru the "inside" part of the stud [ <

It hangs up the other way.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
You can ask for reverse wound MC believe it or not. I have done it in the past with fairly large commercial projects, it is the way too go. No extra $$ if you order enough of it! Otherwise, yeh sucks to pull thru steel studs.:censored:
Isnt 80% of the new stuff reverse wound to start?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts