Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a light fixture and a ceiling fan in my older home which only has a hot wire and a neutral. Both fixtures work fine but I have a question. I have a voltage detector pen than when I hold to the frame of these fixtures it goes off. Even the pull chain of the ceiling fan causes this detector to go off. If I shut the wall switch off this doesn't happen. How can I be sure its safe to touch the pull chains and fixture housing? Does this have something to do with the case ground green wire not having a connection?

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
What did you hook the green wire to?

What kind of box was there?

What wiring method? Romex, BX, K&T, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wire is K&T Im not sure how to answer your question about what kind of box is up there. As for the green wire, I just put a wire nut on it leaving it disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.