Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

Recently our Lean Directory began asking questions about how to set up warning lights (Green, Yellow, Red) on our Mills and Lathing machines as an effort for lean implementation and improve workplace safety. He wants to know if it's possible to have the lights automatically change color, or report to a central location (Kind of like an airport terminal) based on the status of a machine: Cutting, Not Cutting, Down. Further, he wants to know if it's possible to take a printer and make it turn on an alert light if there is a print job complete and waiting for pickup. I've got no idea how this would be integrated into our computer systems, or what the first step would even be, much less if it's even possible! Does anyone here have any experience integrating these systems?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Crabtree
Systems Administrator

P.S.

Sorry if this appears to be in the wrong forum, but this was the closest I could think of under the broad topics.

·
Registered
365 Posts
much less if it's even possible!
Anything is possible. Do you have a PLC? If you do you can wire a Stack light that has muti colored lamps. You can wire sensors or limit switches that will provide an input to the plc ie: cutting position, not cutting. Does Your machine may have existing pilot lamp indicators in that case you can wire them to a relay/opto isolator swich which will turn on the indicator lamps (need a seperate power supply) . Anyway it can be done. As far as the printer goes that can be done as well in a plant where i worked any time we sent a pick ticket to our store room, which was very large a giant red roto beacon turned on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are the Turning and Milling centers CNC machines?

If they are, I know Fanuc controllers as used on many CNC machines provide outputs to a central CPU for such purposes, they even have capability to utilise LAN over ethernet for remote viewing of the program loaded into the machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the Turning and Milling centers CNC machines?

If they are, I know Fanuc controllers as used on many CNC machines provide outputs to a central CPU for such purposes, they even have capability to utilise LAN over ethernet for remote viewing of the program loaded into the machine.
Yes, they are CNC/DNC Machines. I'm not sure if they are PLC... At the moment I'm more concerned with how to get a nice beacon light set up on the printer, but if we can point out these details to the management it might kill two birds with one contracted stone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The printer thing might be the hardest thing to set up, but I suppose - if the servo motors in the printer are not in operation, there is nothing been printed, so I guess you could take an output from the servo driver and run it through a low voltage relay to turn on some sort of warning light. The print in queue will have to come from an IC on the main electronic card, most likely though a signal from an IC, is so small and travels at around 100 khz, so the signal output would be way too small to make use of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The printer thing might be the hardest thing to set up, but I suppose - if the servo motors in the printer are not in operation, there is nothing been printed, so I guess you could take an output from the servo driver and run it through a low voltage relay to turn on some sort of warning light. The print in queue will have to come from an IC on the main electronic card, most likely though a signal from an IC, is so small and travels at around 100 khz, so the signal output would be way too small to make use of.
*blank look*

Uh... What? ^^;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in our shop the guys put one of those safety reflectors for garage doors on the printer and the eye over the printer. When the paper covered the reflector it turned on a becon. Kind of looked cool too :thumbsup: Wish I had taken a picture of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.