Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a disagreement at work about pulling an underground cable.

Scenario:

Pulling with a 1/2in rope a 16awg 14 conductor cable into a 400ft 4in empty conduit.
with 2 90's.

Is this possible with manpower or must a tugger be used.

I think it is possible but others say it is not?

Anyone agree or disagree?

·
Registered
265 Posts
if you have access to the tugger, or shiv and truck for that matter.
Why not. I've seen some big pulls by hand, I've seen alot that sure weren't nescessary. Testosterone is a funny thing.:)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
--"Pulling with a 1/2in rope a 16awg 14 conductor cable into a 400ft 4in empty conduit.
with 2 90's."---

What are you outa your Ti$#!!!!!

If given the option Tug it!
Or for some real fun. Have your buddy carry the real to the conduit!:laughing:
400', Thats a long way Dude!! weigh the wire, weigh the rope.
Weigh the hourly wage of 4-6 guys, then weigh the cost of set up and 2-3 guys and the rental.

16 AGW? what is that for? At 400'?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
You could pull it 100,000 feet if you had enough manpower (i.e., enough men!) but I think this could be pulled with two pulling and one feeding (and hopefully soaping).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So do you think it can be done with manpower?
Say in 2 hrs? Dont have "much" experience pulling
long underground runs.

Which would be faster 2 guys pulling and 2 guys lubing?

or setting up tugger and pulling that way?

This is tying 2 buildings together for remote fire alarm
devices. 16 should be sufficient? or maybe 14?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Wow more questions? Now on size? This should have been all figured out.:rolleyes: (edit) This is tying 2 buildings together for remote fire alarm
devices. 16 should be sufficient? or maybe 14?

This entirely depends on what the conductors will be servicing. (this could get deep)

But for pulling, Yea, 4 guys can do it. 2 Hrs, I would hope so (for the pull). Did you figure set up and break down time? The most important person though, is the FEEDER. If he sucks, You won't be friends later! TRUST Me!:thumbup:

Dump some lube down the pipe before you start, don't be bashfull,So when the luber screws up, you won't hate him too!:whistling2:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Nothing is impossible...the Great Pyramids were built w/o electricity...it also took every slave available. :laughing:
Naaah.. it was all built by aliens with their spaceships! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I kinda hate hearing about guys using pickup trucks for pulling wire and cable. That is hard on the tranny's boys, at least use a forklift , a high lift, or something hydralic if you don't have access to a puller. The long stretched out ropes outside the conduit and connected to the truck are dangerous if broken, a proper set up using a capistan is the right way to do this type of work unless hand pulling is your thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.