Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a home and the inspection showed that there were some copper wiring in this old home that at the outlets was pigtailed with newer copper wiring. Now, some of the pigtailing work was done very poorly. One of the things the electrician was contracted to do was to make the home safe, and repair this shoddy work.

The electrician came and did the work. Here we are, roughly a month later, and I noticed some lights flickering so on a hunch had another electrical company do a thorough inspection to see how the work was. Should have done that immediately, but live and learn. So, he explained to me that, as the image shows, the work was done in the cheapest method possible ,and now my outlets are like this. This means I have a potential fire hazard all over my house now.

He said that these are required to be pigtailed with allumicon connectors and they are not. Obviously, I want to tell the original electrician to come back and do the work correctly.

My questions, and I really hope someone can help clarify this for me as I have zero knowledge of electrical stuff, are:

1) How serious of a fire hazard is this?
2) The invoice/contract for having the work done says:
"Removed electrical devices to pig tail and noaloxed as need and
Reinstall (existing )"

So, it says he used noalox rather than allumicon, which I hope I'm not screwing up the terminology. But I am told that this is entirely not to code, this is a licensed electrician, can I tell him he has to come back and bring the house to code?

If not, then I guess I am contacting my home warranty
Chainsaw Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cameras & optics Camera

company.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
Not the right way to do that. But you say they put that in the contract? So they did what they said they would do, it’s just not right.

As far as burning the house down, it hasn’t in 40 years, you have some time to right the wrong.

·
Super Moderator
Florida, USA
8,491 Posts
@flames0042 this site is for professional electricians only. We can't allow your thread to continue.

You are however welcome on our sister site where we have an Electrical section and plenty of pros to answer your inquiries.

It's on www.DIYChatroom.com.
Head on over there and commence the dialogue.

Thanks and be safe.
This thread is closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.