Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I am changing out a 277/480 Panel and the rotation on the main lugs are CounterClockwise. There is an existing motor landed on a 3-pole breaker 11-13-15. The new panels 3-pole breaker is on 1-3-5. Will this effect the rotation of the fan? Or is the main rotation off the main feed all that matters? Thanks

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Let's say I am changing out a 277/480 Panel and the rotation on the main lugs are CounterClockwise. There is an existing motor landed on a 3-pole breaker 11-13-15. The new panels 3-pole breaker is on 1-3-5. Will this effect the rotation of the fan? Or is the main rotation off the main feed all that matters? Thanks
You want to keep the rotation the same on everything you removed/replaced. Like 480 said, it doesn't matter which phase you start on.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Swap any two conductors anywhere.... that will reverse rotation. Changing BOY at the fan to YOB at the breaker will do that, but my preference is to do it at the motor (BOY at the breaker, YOB at the motor). Not required, just a preference.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Personally I switch rotations at the motors.. Typically I'll complete the "B" phase (black wire in teck cable) 100% and just tighten the bolts on the other 2 and loose fit the boots.. Then bump for rotation.. If it's right, lock it out again then complete the terminations.. If not, then lock it out, flip them and try it again..If all good (which it should be), lock it out then complete the terminations..

I think it's a good habit to be in to do the swaps in the field for a couple of reasons.. Keeps the panels/MCCs/starters all looking the same and easier on maintenance for turnarounds... I've seen a couple guys try and switch rotation on a motor by swapping it out on the LINE side of a VFD.. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.