Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently 20 years old and I'm at my community college at the moment because plan A (military did not work out) so plan b was college. I am on my first year second semester and I haven't really found anything that I am super interested in. I know I haven't dived into too much but my first major was criminal justice and that was pretty much the only thing that caught my interest. but I do not know if that is something I want to do. I like jobs that have a rush, or non routine, maybe at times somewhat laborious. I am not too strong so nothing too heavy. I have great endurance though. I don't mind getting dirty. If I had to chose between a desk or a non-desk job I would have to go with non. I could do both but being outdoors despite difficult climate can be entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and the whole college but at times I feel like it's not me. Maybe this profession is more suited for me? :laughing:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I am currently 20 years old and I'm at my community college at the moment because plan A (military did not work out) so plan b was college. I am on my first year second semester and I haven't really found anything that I am super interested in. I know I haven't dived into too much but my first major was criminal justice and that was pretty much the only thing that caught my interest. but I do not know if that is something I want to do. I like jobs that have a rush, or non routine, maybe at times somewhat laborious. I am not too strong so nothing too heavy. I have great endurance though. I don't mind getting dirty. If I had to chose between a desk or a non-desk job I would have to go with non. I could do both but being outdoors despite difficult climate can be entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and the whole college but at times I feel like it's not me. Maybe this profession is more suited for me? :laughing:
:laughing:

Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

Buy this book and start reading it,you will find out if your really interested in the electrical trade or not by doing so,,,,,Good luck.

·
Slave to the grind
624 Posts
That's quite the price tag... Thank you though.

Thank you!
If you don't like the price of that book, I'm thinking the thought of buying tools of any quality at all, may scare the hell out of you. Park ranger may be an option.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Naaw just kiddin. Being an electrician is bitchen. Hands down best trade. Get your tools and dive in head first little one. Good luck to you and any of your choices. Chris

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
if you get bored easily then you will fry yourself not paying attention while you are wiring something up for the millionth time. join the navy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I may ask, why didn't option "A" work out?
Recruiter told me to lie about childhood asthma, the medical briefing scared the hell out of me, so I chose honesty when I talked to the doc. And I would buy the buy however I think actually talking to a professional or doing a sort of job shadowing might help a little bit better.

·
Swimmer
665 Posts
1. Go to the big box home store and buy the thinnest book on home wiring that you can find. Read and understand EVERYTHING in it. This book should contain several wiring diagrams for standard residential plug and lighting circuits.

2. Buy a $5.00 digital multimeter at Harbor Freight

3. Wire up a 4-way switch circuit and a circuit where a GFI protects outlets down stream. These circuits should be about 5' long and can be assembled on your garage floor. Make sure you plug your experimental circuits into a GFI protected outlet.

Make sure that wiring techniques, wire sizes, boxes, cable, and connectors comply with code.
This should be covered in the book but there are other inexpensive electrical code "cheat sheets" available at the home store.

If you get a code compliant circuit to work and have a good time doing it then you may want to pursue a career as an electrician.

Getting stuff to work is easy.
The hard part is making it code compliant so that when it fails, it does so in as safe a manner as possible.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,497 Posts
You want a rush that's not to hard?
Become a naked polar bear hunter during trout season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts