Electrician Talk banner

Questions about joining a union in the Austin Texas area

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Building Doc 
#1 ·
I'm 35. I owned a business for about 10 years that got killed by Covid. I've been thinking about what I want to do now, and I'm interested in becoming an electrician. I live in Austin, Texas, and would like to stay in the area. My prior work experience was unrelated to construction/trades/electrical work, and I'd be starting from scratch.

I've got a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.
  1. Is there a difference between the NECA and IBEW? I sometimes hear them listed together as if they're one union/group, but are there practical differences? Do you join one or the other or both?
  2. It seems like the local Austin ETA apprenticeship training program (run by both NECA and IBEW) started a class at the beginning of September. Does this mean I would be unable to get started on anything until next September? So I'd have to find another job for a year and then hope to start in fall 2021?
  3. How hard is it to get accepted to the apprenticeship program in Austin, or, if you don't know, in general? Are the number of spots very limited? I know Austin is doing a lot of building. Does that mean there are more spots available?
  4. At 35, will the union be less likely to want me because there are younger applicants? I'm in good shape, but obviously I'd have fewer years to work than an 18 year old.
Any other suggestions for getting started in the Austin area?

Thanks for your time!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.
IBEW is the union (the workers). NECA is the contractors association. The union agreement (contract) is between the local NECA chapter and the local IBEW chapter. NECA member companies hire the IBEW union members.

Usually there is an apprenticeship class starting every few months, but it depends on how many apprentices are needed. The only way to find out for sure is to call the apprenticeship hall and ask. They will be happy to talk to you.

Each local runs their own program and can decide on the factors needed to accept you. When I applied, I had to pass a reading comprehension test, and an algebra test. If you are not a total dumbass, the tests are easy. Once you are accepted, you may get put into work right away, and have to wait for the next class to start. Again, contact the apprenticeship hall.

I started the apprenticeship at 46. They didn't seem to care about my age. It wasn't always like that, but now they are more accepting of older applicants. Again, each local is different.

After 10 years working for other contractors I got my master's license and started my own business. I'm very happy about my decision to become an electrician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.