Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,my name is Jordan and I am a grade 12 student. My plan has been to be an electrician before i started high school. I have taken 2 years of physics, 3 years of electrical techniques, 1 year of tutoring in the electrical program, 2 years of co-op (1 electrical, 1 general construction) which my hours went to OYAP and I have received honours in every class except physics. My question is, where do i go after school? Do i find an employer first and they set me up with the college or do i apply to college first? I have tried talking to my guidance counsellors but they just confuse me more. Also, how would i go about getting my masters? I really appreciate any answers. I know someone may comment on how I am not an electrician, yet, but i really do appreciate any positive responses. Thanks! :thumbup:

·
507 Posts
What province are you in? You sound like you have taken a pre-apprentice program so you need to find an employer to indenture you before you can sign up with a college.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,024 Posts
Once you have finished school, you have 2 choices.
#1 get hired on by a contractor, and then sometime in the future, you will go to technical collage for the various levels.
#2 Take a pre-apprenticeship program, and once you finish, hopefully be hired by a contractor.
Depending on the school, apprenticeship board etc etc, you may be given your first level of schooling and a set number of hours.

Depends who you talk to, there are various opinions on each choice.
There are many, many threads on this site, which discuss these opinions in great detail.
Good luck whichever choice you make.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Hello everyone,my name is Jordan and I am a grade 12 student. My plan has been to be an electrician before i started high school. I have taken 2 years of physics, 3 years of electrical techniques, 1 year of tutoring in the electrical program, 2 years of co-op (1 electrical, 1 general construction) which my hours went to OYAP and I have received honours in every class except physics. My question is, where do i go after school? Do i find an employer first and they set me up with the college or do i apply to college first? I have tried talking to my guidance counsellors but they just confuse me more. Also, how would i go about getting my masters? I really appreciate any answers. I know someone may comment on how I am not an electrician, yet, but i really do appreciate any positive responses. Thanks! :thumbup:
With the training you already have at your age, the ambition you have demonstrated in your first post (Not to mention the fact you can type a complete sentence, which seems to be a challange for many) I don't think you will have a problem finding a job. Show up at my door the day you graduate and I would hire you.

Good luck kid!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't bother with pre-apprenticeship! You have the experience, couple that with a good attitude you are further ahead then any of those kids who waste the money on pre-apprenticeship. I did an electrical co-op in high school and then made it a summer job. I missed out on getting signed onto OYAP, but all the hours are counted and I am signed on as 309A. Honestly, my experience with the guidance counsellors was also awful, all they do is push university! They had no idea how the system works. In Ontario, there is no fast way to becoming a master electrician. You start off as an apprentice, 9000 hours, then qualify to write the journeyman CofQ test, then after a minimum of 4 years as a licensed journeyman, you can apply to go for your masters. Only a master electrician can pull permits in Ontario.

Edit: just double checked, it's 3 year minimum. Here's a links about becoming a master electrician in Ontario. http://www.esasafe.com/licensing/master-electrician/licensing/

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hope renewed. Keep up the effort and find an employer. I think you'll be rewarded. At least where I am from young guys looking for more than a job are hard to come by. Interest and motivation is everything.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You sound like a bright kid and a welcome change to the industry!

Try and line up a position with a company for when you graduate. I think if anyone could, you could. Then work and learn and you'll do well in the career.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts