Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to tie the convenience receptacle from the laundry sabc.
Been told here that is a violation.
Code book on desk at home.
Can the convenience outlet be fed from lighting circuit?

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I always installed a 15 amp dedicated circuit for a convenience receptacle .

could use from 1250 to 1500 watts .

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always installed a 15 amp dedicated circuit for a convenience receptacle .

could use from 1250 to 1500 watts .
I run a non afci 15 ckt to cover bath, laundry room light and attic lighting. It's a light ckt. No dedication here. I tried selling a dedicated 15 for the daughters make up station, that got knocked down.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are planning window ac units. I ran a 3/4 smurftube to attic directly out of panel. They also plan on finishing the attic.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is that a violation, unless the convenience receptacle is outside of the laundry?:confused1:
In my case with a washer and gas dryer I prefer the convenience receptacle on a different circuit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle shall be installed in areas designated for the installation of laundry equipment.

Per NEC 2014 Handbook
A laundry receptacle outlet(s) is supplied by a 20-ampere branch circuit that can have no other outlets. See 210.11(C)(2)

This is the way I was taught, but I could be wrong. It was my understanding that you can have multiple outlets on the laundry sabc but they were only to be used for the installation of laundry equipment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is what I love about this forum. Now I am starting to doubt myself!

210.11(C)(2)

.....at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Maybe is should read .... to supplt the laundry room or area receptacle outlets. This circuit shall have no other outlets outside of the laundry room or area.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
This is what I love about this forum. Now I am starting to doubt myself!

210.11(C)(2)

.....at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Maybe is should read .... to supplt the laundry room or area receptacle outlets. This circuit shall have no other outlets outside of the laundry room or area.
Not if the point is to keep any convenience outlets off the washer/dryer circuit. Is that the question here? No, the outlet for the iron can NOT be on the laundry SABC.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not if the point is to keep any convenience outlets off the washer/dryer circuit. Is that the question here? No, the outlet for the iron can NOT be on the laundry SABC.
Although I agree that it is a bad idea to put convenience receptacles in the laundry room/area on the same circuit as the machines, I don't believe the wording in the code prohibits it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is not the way I have seen that enforced. Here all the receptacles in the laundry area need to be on the 20 amp laundry circuit. Additional circuits are permitted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts