Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an electrical quote for a house I'm looking to build in Indiana. The house is a single story with an unfinished basement.

The main level is about 2,500 SF and the basement is the same footprint, so 2,500 SF. There is an apartment above my garage that's about 1,000 SF. So total being wired (NO basement) is about 3,500 SF.

Main Level: appliance boxes, outlet boxes, outlets, switch boxes, no switches (I'm providing smart switches), wiring, can lights, no hanging lights (front porch, pendant lights, etc.) in the quote, 16x CAT6a runs, doorbell runs

Apartment: no appliance boxes (though there are appliances), outlet boxes, outlets, switch boxes, no switches (I'm providing smart switches), wiring, can lights, no hanging lights in the quote, no doorbell runs

I just went back to review the quote one last time before I started, and I realized I'm paying $8.57/SF for this... What looks like basic wiring... Am I correct? That seems excessive as I've seen many people say $3-$4/SF... I think I screwed myself...

I guess my question is, am I paying way too much? I already signed and sent the contract back, so I'm probably just screwed if so... :-(

· Registered
Electrician
2,576 Posts
In the last year wire has doubled, parts prices are all over the place, electrical contractors are spending crazy amounts of time searching for material. Someone who does residential may or may not chime in(I do commercial). I wouldn't touch it for that price personally but it depends greatly on your area. I also NEVER quote off of price per sqft.

I also highly recommend not just going with the lowest price. Go with someone who is highly recommended and licensed.

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,898 Posts
Not a surprise and pricing is different in different parts of the country. I was getting about $6/sq.ft many many years ago so I am not surprised with the cost of materials.

Did your price include any fixtures? Is there electric heat etc... Too many variables.

This site is for electricians so I am closing this thread.

Reactions: dvpvic and 99cents
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.