Electrician Talk banner

R to A upgrade school

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TGGT 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone. I’m a new member on this forum and also a new member at Local 26. I organized in at the end of 2020 and before this, have had 3 years of experience doing solar system installs and another 3 doing general service electrical and installations. I came in with two journeyman licenses as an RW-2. It’s been my intention to apply for R to A upgrade school as soon as possible. My business rep informed me before I organized that typically I need to be a member in good standing for 3 years before I can apply, which is what it says on the information page on Local 26’s website, but also, that they may accept an application for a member in good standing after a year or so (which is not in writing anywhere). Does anyone have experience/knowledge with how stringently this 3-year probationary period is followed or if there are exceptions made? I am not too keen on working 3 years before I can apply and then having another 3 years of night school before I see a raise. What I am earning right now certainly is not peanuts, but it’s certainly nothing I can’t get paid in an open shop. I came to the union for the pay, obviously but also for the education opportunity, which I really value. I don’t see any reason that the education aspect needs to be delayed. It really strikes me as a way to keep my skill down and my compensation down.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Please see the link below. A profile is required here at Electrician Talk. Please make sure to include occupation and general location.

#3 ·
Some Unions like to keep people who are experienced workers at the lower level. It is a form of cheap labor. 20 years ago I joined the local union and spent 5 years trying to get an A card. They kept me in the small work division at $20.00 / hour +/-. At the time I held several master licenses in multiple states. I left.

#4 ·
That makes sense. During orientation, my employer straight up said to us, hey..we simply can’t fill the entire job site with JWs and expect to be profitable. That was totally understandable to me. Not everyone can be a chief. But why hold back a highly motivated and capable individual? In the long run, this hurts me and it hurts the local because I will not be sticking around for 6 years to see a raise. The concept of the “package” with my pension, 401K, and fully subsidized healthcare is definitely not lost on me, but at this point, that’s very back-loaded compensation. Wife and I will have kids soon and with that, the $48/hr full JW rate would be spoken for easily. That’s still not even 6 figures. I don’t blame you for doing what you did. I would do the same thing if I had a masters. Can’t let someone hold you down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.