Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a V-Cutter about 3 weeks ago. Seems to do a hit and miss job. If the sheath is tight on the wire it just not going to work. If the sheath is loose on the wire it is hard to beat.
I have been using the V-Cutter on 12/2 14/2 and 14/3 flat. The 14/3 flat and 12/2 no problem 14/2 not gonna happen.

LC

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I still use the utility knife and peel like a banana method. Only really works on SimPull though. THen I use the same knife to cut the sheath @ the box and any of those annoying threads they put in the cable.

This method doesnt work with Cerrowire

·
Registered
83 Posts
i ve been using a v cutter for a few years. have it on my crocs and love it. great for cabtar too. the secret is to bend the tip inwards just a little bit, taking care not to expose the knife edge.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Stripping wire before putting it in the box is a pita. I'll stick with my Stanley 99

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
?

I don't work with romex often, but from the little experience I have it's much easier to strip before putting it in the box rather than trying to get a knife into the box and strip it after the fact. I've tried it both ways, and stripping it after putting into the box is a pita, imo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hell no its much easier to just toss into the box and then strip.

How is lining up the cut where you need it, then stripping, then dealing with the stripped ebd catching on the box or connector easier? What happens if you're a little off? Is the length of the sheath on each wire in the box a little different when you strip first?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hell no its much easier to just toss into the box and then strip.

How is lining up the cut where you need it, then stripping, then dealing with the stripped ebd catching on the box or connector easier? What happens if you're a little off? Is the length of the sheath on each wire in the box a little different when you strip first?

Its really not that hard your over thinking it. Just strip the romex about half way down the box make a little loop and use the furthest hole away from the stud. Same length and by using the further hole when possible you have a little loop to work with and less of a bend on the wire make it easier to stick in. Its way easier and faster than stripping inside the box. Just have a smaller or bigger loop when your a little off as you say..

By loop I dont mean a circle I mean something like this. The bend you see on the sign.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Stripping before putting in the box is way faster and cleaner once you get used to it. I also like to use the opening furthest from the stud if possible.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Use the NM stripper on your Croc's for 2 wire NM and the V cutter for the 3 wire stuff. Sold on it.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I use a Stanley 99, strip after its in the box, zip it open with my knife and clip left over sheath with my *****. Easy peasey lemon squeezey.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I use a Stanley 99, strip after its in the box, zip it open with my knife and clip left over sheath with my *****. Easy peasey lemon squeezey.
Sounds like a good way to slash the wire and your hand. Each to his own. I prefer pre-stripping.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah I do it like wendon. I used to do it other ways like stripping after in the box, but found it more work with more steps and more tools. Also accidentally nicked/cut things I didn't mean to.

Crocs sheath stripper are an awesome time saver and makes a cleaner install. (IMO)

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I wired houses for a few years and we always stripped the romex before putting it in the box. We also always used the opening for certain designations i.e. first opening got hot feeds, second opening got travelers, third opening (if present got switch legs. It made troubleshooting or remodel work very easy because anyone in the company could open a box and if it was our wiring they knew exactly where everything was or at least where it should be.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Yeah I do it like wendon. I used to do it other ways like stripping after in the box, but found it more work with more steps and more tools. Also accidentally nicked/cut things I didn't mean to.

Crocs sheath stripper are an awesome time saver and makes a cleaner install. (IMO)
Who said nothing good ever comes out of Canada???:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wired houses for a few years and we always stripped the romex before putting it in the box. We also always used the opening for certain designations i.e. first opening got hot feeds, second opening got travelers, third opening (if present got switch legs. It made troubleshooting or remodel work very easy because anyone in the company could open a box and if it was our wiring they knew exactly where everything was or at least where it should be.
I do that too but unfortunately no one else in my company will accept it. Do my switches very similar. Also my gfci line side always next to the stud and load in the other hole.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts