Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

this question came up the othr day and have searched and cannot find an answer. If you were to come in contact with a 110 volt current from the wall but it only traveled up one leg and back down your other leg could it still kill you even though it is not passing through your heart or brain? details would be appreciated, this is a debate we were having the other day.

thanks
joe p

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
It would run directly thru your nuts and make you WISH you were dead.

If you get ahold of it good in any part of your body it can kill you. It is just a more efficient killer if it goes straight thru your heart and squeezes it shut.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
From what I have read, obviously the worse case would be arm to arm, head to feet, arm to feet ect, but the path from foot to foot is not a direct path that conductor spreads out to the top of your head and some effects will be felt.

Quite a few variables, age, skin moisture content, what you are wearing, physical size, weight.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Arm to arm is usually considered the most dangerous for relatively low voltage, but the dynamics are far from simple. First, skin has resistance so it is doubtful the nervous system ever experiences 110 volts and survives.

We were always taught that 4 milliamps is all that it takes to kill a person.

Leg to leg? No shoes? Bare footed standing in salt water?

Old technician's rule -- never put both hands into a live circuit. I think of that every time I have to connect a live wire! I once asked a guy if I should hold the wire or the screwdriver with my teeth. He didn't laugh.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
We were always taught that 4 milliamps is all that it takes to kill a person.
GFCIs are set at 5 milliamps, because it is below the "let go" threshold for a healthy adult.
If memory serves, about 15 -20 milliamps is the "let go" point.

4 milliamps shouldn't do more than shake you up a little.

For someone with a heart condition, or a child, it might be very different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so it could still kill you, but it would just take more/longer than say arm to arm or arm to foot? for this example lets say bare feet or with wet shoes on. lol, me and my buddies always have these debates about the weirdest ****, must have to much time on our hands lol. thanx for all the replies =)

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
It would run directly thru your nuts and make you WISH you were dead.

Sorry I'm Laughing so hard I can't respond!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbup:
I was gonna say the same thing!
I know it's only January but I think we have a Post of the Year contender! :laughing:

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
My last shock was from arm to arm, phase to ground 120v. I let go very fast... I was being stupid and rushing on a job. It has been a while since then, every time I start to get in a hurry.. I am reminded of that and slow back down. After all, no job is worth being dead over - it also makes it really hard to go to work the next day if youre dead.

~Matt

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
I have some books on the subject, in one test scientist place a potential probe in a monkeys rectum and connected various parts of the monkeys body to the other potential probe. 4-8 years of college to torture a poor monkey. Unfortunately I could probably tell them as much first hand data as needed of course the milliamp meter was not connected in my accidental experiments.

And the last time I got shocked I was dressed and did not sit on a Franklin rod.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I have some books on the subject, in one test scientist place a potential probe in a monkeys rectum and connected various parts of the monkeys body to the other potential probe. 4-8 years of college to torture a poor monkey. Unfortunately I could probably tell them as much first hand data as needed of course the milliamp meter was not connected in my accidental experiments.

And the last time I got shocked I was dressed and did not sit on a Franklin rod.
I just read through this and was a little nervous, you have experience with rectal potential probe shocks??? I will ask no more on that subject.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.