Electrician Talk banner

Range in Garage etc

CEC 
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mate 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I am running two 3/4" emt conduits from my 100A electrical panel in my basement to my garage.

Conduit #1

3/4 emt. For range in my garage. It will have 3 x #8's and a #10 ground. ( I know the conduit is a ground but I am making this redundant)

Conduit #2

3/4 emt 220V tablesaw receptacle in garage. I will have 3 x 10's and a #12 ground.

I have no other choice but to put in a couple of pull boxes. I have put a 4x4 deep box in the garage for both runs. I also have put 4 11/16 on each run leaving the panel.

1. I am coming in the sides of all of these boxes and out the back. Is this ok? I think as I recall it only matters if they are #4 or larger? The knockouts are not the furthest apart from one another as space was not cooperative.

2. I have no choice but to put the pull boxes beside a gas line in garage, but there is no valve. They are about 1/4" away. I have wrapped the gas line with elec tape in the area where they are close only. Is this ok?

3. Can I add another #10 120V hot and ground into the conduit with the #10's for the 220V table saw or does this plug and raceway have to be dedicated only to that receptacle. I realize that table 6 states I can as far as the chart states but the voltages are different 120V for recpt and 220V for other receipt. but same voltage to ground?

4. On another part of the garage I have an existing 2104 box recessed in the wall for existing circuit for carplug. Can I add a 1110 extension ring on the recessed box to make it surface and pipe another couple plugs out of one of them? Is this legal to use an 1110 extension ring on a 2104 recessed box? Do carplugs have to be dedicated?

5. Does My 220V receptacle for table saw have to be a certain distance off the floor or away from my outside O/H door?

6. Can I have 2 ranges on the 100A panel?

7. I am assuming it is legal to run conduit from the panel in the first place?

8. Do the electrical inspectors ever open boxes or panels? I have a roll of #8 black that I want to phase tape Red and Black and White but this is not legal. Guess I better buy Red and White colours of RW90

Thanks for all of the help in advance. I haven't done residential wiring in almost 10 years as I do light industrial now. I want to get it inspected as my home is brand new and worth a hell of a lot of money to be rolling the dice without the inspection and approval of the local authority.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Well. The saw needs no neutral but I am running a separate ground wire other than reliance on the emt as a bond. Redundant, but I like redundancy.

I do not want a sub panel because I have ALL of the material gathered for free. The panel is only 36' away. I do not want to have an area restricted from future use. i like my wall space too!!

#6 ·
Well. The saw needs no neutral but I am running a separate ground wire other than reliance on the met as a bond. Redundant, but I like redundancy.

I do not want a sub panel because I have ALL of the material gathered for free. Th panel is only 36' away.
You mentioned running 3x#10's and a #12 for a ground. If it's single phase 240V, you have one too many wires.

I would still do a sub panel so that in the future when you add something in the garage you don't need another conduit or the need to scab off your existing circuits.

Good luck.

#7 ·
ok then, if you want to it that way, it's your call.

1.yes.

2.don't know the code about that but since it's a pull box with no splice, I would't care.

3.As long as you respect the chart for the conduit fill and that the conductor are coming from the same panel, It's all good! Run separate neutral.

4. Fish??

5. I would put the receptacle at 44'' (couter top recep. height) I don't know what h/o means.

6. Yeah but I wouldn't use both in winter while doing laundry!!

7. Why would it not be?

8. Don't bother, just tape the wire since you allready have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.