Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a white wire be re identified as a ground when no longer being used a as neutral?

Any code sections restricting this?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
480sparky said:
Check the title of Article 250................ :whistling2: 200.7(C) would be a bit more appropriate.
I think you might be mistaken. He wants to use the old grounded conductor as the new equipment ground. That's how I read it anyway.
Edit: never mind I think I see what you're getting at there

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I think you might be mistaken. He wants to use the old grounded conductor as the new equipment ground. That's how I read it anyway.

200 deals with re-identifying grounded conductors.

250 deals with re-identifying grounding conductors.

Since what you have to begin with is a grounded conductor, 200 applies.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
meadow said:
Yup, old 10/3 without ground, no egc available.
What 480 said about 200.7(c) appears to say yes. 250.119 says it's gotta be green and can't be reidentified if not larger than 6. Soooo.... I don't know!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
480sparky said:
200 deals with re-identifying grounded conductors. 250 deals with re-identifying grounding conductors. Since what you have to begin with is a grounded conductor, 200 applies.
I don't disagree with you but 200.7(c)(1) sounds like it's referring to re-identifying a "white" conductor to an ungrounded conductor?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I don't disagree with you but 200.7(c)(1) sounds like it's referring to re-identifying a "white" conductor to an ungrounded conductor?
Doesn't say anything about 'ungrounded', just re-identifying it.

The use of insulation that is white or gray or that has three continuous white stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) and (2).

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im having trouble interpreting it as well. Should I be looking for the term grounded conductor in general?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
480sparky said:
Doesn't say anything about 'ungrounded', just re-identifying it.
And it must comply with either 200.7(c) part 1 or 2. Part one specifically talks about re-identifying it as an ungrounded conductor only. Part 2 is for flexible cords

1 - 13 of 13 Posts