Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having my morning planning session :D when I had this idea for a fun thread.

15Kv breaker operating arm, swivel off an old honeywell actuator linkage, and a scrap piece of plated bus:

Viola!

What have you created?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Replaced some HPS potlights in a parkade with canopy style LED. Filler plates are phenolic from the arc-chute covers off an old magna-blast breaker.

View attachment 156822

Come on, no creativity out there?
You have to be real about it, Joe, you have to be a hoarder to have stuff to re-purpose first. Most folks don't have that kind of free space.

Like your cu bus bar, wiping paper holder bracket, most folks would of cashed that in with the last copper hike

I got a pile of Explosion Proof HID pendant fixtures, what would you craft with them? Some LED night lights for the shop?

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,402 Posts
You have to be real about it, Joe, you have to be a hoarder to have stuff to re-purpose first. Most folks don't have that kind of free space.

Like your cu bus bar, wiping paper holder bracket, most folks would of cashed that in with the last copper hike

I got a pile of Explosion Proof HID pendant fixtures, what would you craft with them? Some LED night lights for the shop?
Living in the NWT of Canada it’s not called hoarding, it’s just having stock on hand to complete a project. I would imagine that materials, especially esoteric oddities, are impossible to come by.
Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without.

·
Estwing magic
27,432 Posts
Most of your life hmmm, I would hazard a guess and say you are originally from Ontario then.
Say hi to Ian Tyson for me would you?
Born and raised here. Moved to BC and then came back.

Ian Tyson was kinda before my time. Alberta is famous for Nickelback. I apologize on behalf of all Albertans for inflicting that noise on the rest of the world. It’s truly shameful.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I understand the space issue. I have space and while I don't consider myself a hoarder, I hate to throw stuff away that might serve some purpose in the future.

Take that phenolic for instance. When I first salvaged it, I had a stack of it that I thought I'd probably never get rid of. I think I have two panels left.

For sure I cashed in a few weeks back on the copper. That doesn't mean you have to get rid of every last piece though. Like 460 said, there's no copper bus trees growing in the NWT. The only thing of value really in the toilet paper holder IS the copper bus: about $1.00 worth vs buying a factory roll holder. Factory would be no where near as cool in an electrical shop in my opinion.

Post a pic of your lights. Might spark some ideas in the thread.

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here is the cast aluminum light collection, since LED is all the rage, these probably need parting out someday.

Some useful things made from EMT, not necessarily repurposed, but very useful.
Couple sets of folding benches for job site use.

The first type, made from 1" EMT was a request from a bump shop buddy. These are available from body shop supply houses, but he wanted several and I could make them cheaper, so I made a couple of extras for myself. Their light weight and easily portable. Padded pipes for not marking up fenders, but a chunk of plywood on top makes a sturdy table.

The second model was my own concoction. Made from 1/2" and 3/4" EMT and topped with 1-5/8" unistrut. I wanted something very sturdy, able to clamp stock to the upper rails for cutting and welding. As you see a set here, some 2x planks on the top along with a skid, holding up a 3Φ multi voltage power supply. My guess is that this load weighs more than 1000 Lbs, and they have seen worse. they have been in service for more than 20 years.

And the load that the folding horses are currently carrying.

I've shown this one before, not entirely made from electrical materials, but uses 1/2" EMT spindles and wiring troughs for parts buckets. The mobile bench, goes on almost every job and has been plying the pavement for more than 20 years. I guess I just like benches that fold up and are transportable. This one on wheels is the most useful and has saved countless hours on the type of jobs that I do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts