Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
No pictures but I used to use a 2.5" pvc coupling screwed to the side of the tranny hump in a few of my daily beaters.. held a large timmys just perfect.

Doorbell button and relay wired up the stick shift when the horn pad went in the jeep.

Made a muffler from an old piece of 1" seal-tite flex with the rubber cut off. Expanded one end of the armor to screw over the header on a $50 dirt bike. I swear it sounded like a harley.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A childhood buddy who is an EC regularly make leather sheaths and scabbards and all kinds of special carts, cart modifications etc. Especially for highly repetitive contracts like gutting 2000 fixtures and changing to LED etc. He thinks through the project and figures how to economize every movement. He never makes them for the apprentices/journeymen but only for himself.
Then on the days he helps he kicks out 3X or more than they do (usually on a different floor etc so they can't see his rig). They can NEVER understand how he does 3X the work, leaves early and handles other business. Then aa day later he shows them what he was doing and how and gives them the sheaths or scabbards etc.
I laugh my head off and always ask Gary what he has done to mess with the kids lately.
It makes them all think about how to work smarter...and eventually they do work smarter.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,469 Posts
A childhood buddy who is an EC regularly make leather sheaths and scabbards and all kinds of special carts, cart modifications etc. Especially for highly repetitive contracts like gutting 2000 fixtures and changing to LED etc. He thinks through the project and figures how to economize every movement. He never makes them for the apprentices/journeymen but only for himself.
Then on the days he helps he kicks out 3X or more than they do (usually on a different floor etc so they can't see his rig).
I do that too, after a week or two of fumbling and inefficiency I figure out the streamlined setup, then I enjoy maybe two or three hours of great efficient work and then it's back to the efficiency of a monkey ****ing a football on the next task.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Here is the cast aluminum light collection, since LED is all the rage, these probably need parting out someday.
View attachment 156860
Converted to incan, painted bronze or verdi or black, and mounted on some solidly planted 3/4 galv bent into a gooseneck, would make some pretty robust steampunk artsy garden lighting.

Reactions: MechanicalDVR

·
Registered
105 Posts
I inherited an entire pallet of Hoffman backpanels. I have been making brackets and other equipment out of them for almost 15 years now. I also inherited 10 gallons (!) of assorted terminal blocks. I never have to buy terminal blocks for the house! The hand is almost all of a 6 foot 14ga Hoffman backpanel, as are the one foot high numbers.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Converted to incan, painted bronze or verdi or black, and mounted on some solidly planted 3/4 galv bent into a gooseneck, would make some pretty robust steampunk artsy garden lighting.
That had been done once already many years ago at step dad's house for a drive light, from the local chemical plant, Minus the paint job. It's a bit smaller than the giant ones I have. This one is still HID powered.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
I have a buddy that was doing haunted houses a couple years back, I'll check with him and see if they can use them.
It's an idea I would never have thought of...
Are there that many? Man what a niche...

JKL ELECTRIC - Haunted houses - Strip Clubs - Massage Parlors - Evil Lairs
Licensed & Insured
Violations Corrected & Installed
"We're really amp'd to get into your shorts!!!"
RESIDENTIAL - COMMERCIAL - INDUSTRIAL
"From Six Volts To Lightning Bolts"​

Reactions: GladMech

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,166 Posts

Licensed & Insured
You maybe surprised....some areas I've frequented have a plethora of sex dungeons for rent/use.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,385 Posts

Licensed & Insured
Headless horseman in Ulster NY uses an electrical contractor all year. They are inspected and keep adding on every year. If you have never been there it is great.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
You maybe surprised....some areas I've frequented have a plethora of sex dungeons for rent/use.
I once found bondage **** and BDSM/ leather gear catalogues in my 12 year old son's bedroom.
"What should I do about this" I asked my wife?
"Whatever you do, don't spank him."

·
Registered
239 Posts
Be careful. Sometimes heated chrome will poison you. No direct flames? The interwebs have mixed opinions.
I have no idea why heating chrome would be an issue. Chrome is non-toxic as a kitchen surface and its melting point is over 3000 degrees. The best plating would be copper flash, then (if you can afford it) nickel flash/plate, then chrome plate.

Either way it looks like cold smoking is in process here so temperatures are ambient, not cook smoking. I love cold smoking foods. Too bad I live in FL now and can not really do that.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts