Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I did not find it dumb, just not the way it is going to work. On service calls you get in line you might e first or last. Supplying your own material, maybe fixtures but basic parts not when I did residential.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Someone should ask the writer of that if they carry their oil/filter to the shop for an oil change. Or stop at Krogers and buy their steak and take it to a steak house for them to cook!:no:

I don't mind them buying fixtures, actually I encourage it with the exception of some HID lighting. But the items needed for an install or service call, I don't usually allow a customer to supply anything. Too much can go wrong.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sites like that take alot away from our trade making lots of people think they can do it.. IMO - some of it can be easily undertaken by the average home owner.. Changing a light fixture, a receptacle or a switch.. It can also be a good money maker for real electricians when they get in over their head and it doesn't work!
Supplying me with screws and wire nuts?? Sure, but when they said to make sure to schedule it for first thing in the morning so you don't get charged travel time, I'd be adding it there..

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Material is often only 10-15% of the job so is it really objectionable (at 300%) to be charged $0.15 for a wire nut, $0.99 for a receptacle? I don't charge that way but the savings wouldn't pay minimum wage for the homeowner's time, especially considering the loss of contractor warranty on those materials.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.