Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Please no trolling. I'm serious about this...
So am I, those numbers are realistic EXCEPT the low end could be a negative number and that really sucks.

I have friends making between 150k and 900k a year. IN MY AREA if you are not pulling in close to 150K a year you might as well work for someone. JUST MY OPINION

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Location makes a difference, 100K in Mississippi may seem decent while you would starve off that in NYC.

Residential loner or 30 men
doing custom homes or tract homes
Commercial
Federal jobs
Fire Alarm
Electrical Testing
Controls

High end, no bid work or competition bidding

Just so many variables.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
this is like asking the question "how much does a congressman make ?".

He makes what he can, depending on how much was handed to him, how much he wants to work, how much he wants to work the system, how much he wants to cheat the taxpayers, who his buddies are and how much he uses them to make money, etc etc. there is no easy answer to the question.

you can make a lot, you can put in <your whole life>, you can lose everything, etc etc.

A short list of perhaps Better starting questions might be:

Do I have what is necessary to start up and run a successful electrical contracting business ?
Do I have the financial resources to start up and be successful in an electrical contracting business ?
Am I in a good time and place to start an electrical contracting business ?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Please no trolling. I'm serious about this...
Being a contractor isn't like being an employee with a set wage.

And......their estimates were all wrong.

They forgot that you can actually lose all your money, your house, wife, pick up truck, dog and possessions.

Your individual expectations would be called projections. To arrive at these numbers, you need to know what YOU will be capable of doing.

If you have a pickup, hand tools and no accounts, you might start as a Craigslist electrician working cheap and sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and you might gross 500 bucks on a good week.

If your have more tools, equipment and experience in commercial, industrial, you may be able to go out, knock on some doors and find some accounts and start grossing 2K on a good week.

If you are a good troubleshooter AND salesman, you could realistically bring in an average of 200-300 per hour. Of course, the amount of hours you will be working depends on your skill set and how you approach the business.

In any scenario, how you manage whatever you bring in will be the key to upping your income. Do it right and you might earn a decent living. Do it extremely well and get really lucky and you could end up with a multi million dollar business.

Or....do it wrong, make a major mistake of stumble onto a really bad break and you are in debt, over your head.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Being a contractor isn't like being an employee with a set wage.

And......their estimates were all wrong.

They forgot that you can actually lose all your money, your house, wife, pick up truck, dog and possessions.

I did mention negative income and the wife thing that might be seen by some as a positive!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Because you have asked this question, you will be forever plagued with people asking your flat rate for work. :laughing:

·
Registered
240 Posts
whatryou said:
Realistically, in today's recovering economy, how much would a decent & recently certified contractor earn? Salary/monthly/hr? Thank you & have a great day.
I appreciate your question and putting a dollar amount on the value of your services is entirely up to you. As a business owner, it is your goal to price your services so that your customers feel they are getting value for their money and you are making a profit after paying your job cost and overhead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.