4th year apprentice
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2013 we had a 400A service upgrade done at the barn as we had silos feed conveyors milk pump, tank and the usual going ons at a dairy. 3 years ago after we exited the dairy industry we both got off farm jobs and can get some extreme winter weather here so we had a standby generator installed to keep the house from freezing if an outage happened when we were both gone. The 400A manual transfer switch came out and being only a 12kw unit a 200A ATS went in. To make that legal/safe we replaced the 400A fuses at the main disconnect and got a retrofit kit to make 200A fuses fit in their place. Were in the process of adding a garage this year and I added a 200A panel in the garage fed underground from the barn with 250MCM AL which also feeds a 100A sub in the basement off a DP 60 breaker that supplies the heat pumps. Theres also a 200A main panel in the house fed 1/0AL underground from the barn electrical room that has all the essential loads tied into it and no longer supplies the sub panel. That leaves us with oil as a backup heat source if were away during an outage in winter and wood if were home. In order to separate the loads I did some rearranging yesterday. I moved a 200A fused disconnect over beside the first splitter and it feeds the 250mcm to the garage. Also out of that splitter 250mcm runs through 2 inch conduit to the other splitter. The ont thing now tied to the splitter at least with conductors is the other 200A fused disconnect. That now supplies the ATS that supplies the 200A panel in the room that has a 100A breaker that supplies the house panel. Now the 400A fuses are back in place and the loads are separated so hopefully the generator will handle the connected loads. Thank you for checking out my work, 3 years ago it would have seemed like a mountain of a job but it’s not that big of a job thanks to a few years in this wonderful trade.