Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share.

Klein Tools is issuing a voluntary product recall on the NCVT1 in their Test and Measurement Line due to a potential safety hazard.

The following is from their website: kleintools.com/recall/ncvt1

Why Is There A Recall?

It has recently come to our attention that one of our products, the NCVT-1 NONCONTACT VOLTAGE TESTER, has a potential safety issue that Klein Tools would like to rectify. The on/off button of the NCVT-1 is intended to be pressed down and then released. If the button remains depressed during the power on or power off cycle, the tip of the tool remains illuminated in green, indicating the tool is "ready to detect voltage," when it is not.
These affected products are sold in the following SKU numbers:

NCVT169149
NCVT1AMPZ00052R
NCVT1EMPZ00001
NCVT1SEN80018
NCVT1EP80023

This recall involves Klein Tools Non-Contact Voltage Tester with model numbers NCVT1 bearing date codes ending H7. The product was also sold in variations and kits listed above, all bearing date codes ending in H7.
Instructions
  1. Please stop using your NCVT-1 NONCONTACT VOLTAGE TESTER, even if you have not experienced any issues.
  2. Please contact Klein Tools to return your unit at no charge for replacement.
    • Web: If you are a consumer, complete the online Recall Submission Form for immediate processing of your recall request. Once the form is completed, an email will be sent with instructions and a link to print a shipping label. If you are a distributor, visit the Distributor Extranet to complete the Distributor Recall Submission Form.
    • Phone: Call customer service toll-free 800-527-3099 between 7:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. CT Monday through Friday.
    • Email: Email us at [email protected]. Be sure to include contact information, postal and email addresses. We will reply to your email within one business day.
For Canadian returns, use this form.
For any returns other than US or Canada, contact [email protected].

·
Hackenschmidt
11,476 Posts
Klein worsens their record for test equipment, I would not buy ANY of their meters, testers, etc. You can't screw around when a malfunction jeopardizes safety. If they have safety recalls I bet there's lots of other malfunctions related to generally being junk that don't trigger recalls because they don't affect safety.

But I would hesitate to buy Milwaukee or any of the others that are getting into making test equipment by rebranding Chinese garbage with their company's formerly good names. It's alarming to me that it's getting very hard to find a meter made anywhere other than China. Fluke is made in China and even their sterling record for quality is slipping. Fluke bought Amprobe which was at one time made in USA, then Taiwan, now China. Extech, China.

I am a big believer in simpler is safer, simpler has less things to go wrong. I have other NCVDs but the one I prefer is the simple Santronics. It's made in USA and less expensive than most of the imported junk.

·
Estwing magic
25,866 Posts
Klein worsens their record for test equipment, I would not buy ANY of their meters, testers, etc. You can't screw around when a malfunction jeopardizes safety. If they have safety recalls I bet there's lots of other malfunctions related to generally being junk that don't trigger recalls because they don't affect safety.

But I would hesitate to buy Milwaukee or any of the others that are getting into making test equipment by rebranding Chinese garbage with their company's formerly good names. It's alarming to me that it's getting very hard to find a meter made anywhere other than China. Fluke is made in China and even their sterling record for quality is slipping. Fluke bought Amprobe which was at one time made in USA, then Taiwan, now China. Extech, China.

I am a big believer in simpler is safer, simpler has less things to go wrong. I have other NCVDs but the one I prefer is the simple Santronics. It's made in USA and less expensive than most of the imported junk.

View attachment 156460
I like the Milwaukee NCVT because of the flashlight. I have the Klown NCVT with the flashlight but it has a delay before it signals. If you don’t wait for the tone (it doesn’t beep) you can get fooled. Another Klown product that is good but not good enough.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,476 Posts
I like the Milwaukee NCVT because of the flashlight. I have the Klown NCVT with the flashlight but it has a delay before it signals. If you don’t wait for the tone (it doesn’t beep) you can get fooled. Another Klown product that is good but not good enough.
I have a couple of the Milwaukees, they were two for $20 when they first came out and I think I there was a buy one get one or something so I got four for $20. It's not a great flashlight or a great NCVT but it is handy having both in one. I put this in my pocket or bag when I don't expect to need either, but want something just in case. Like right now my main project is mostly control / low voltage / datacom and conduit so I have that in my bag. I usually have one in my laptop bag too.

·
Registered
149 Posts

View attachment 156460
I agree. You can't go wrong with the Santronics because as you said it is simple. It's made in the USA and they haven't tried to make the NCVD into something that it's not by adding a bunch of other features to complicate the design and add more opportunities for failure.

Any good supply house in my area stocks the Santronics at a great price. The locally owned supply house in Atlanta that we bought material from most frequently when I got started in the trade about 20 years ago actually gave away the Santronics NCVD (or "hot pen" as the guys that I trained under in those days called it) that was branded with the supply house name and phone number. They wouldn't just hand them out like candy at a parade, but the owner and guys at the counter would make sure that everyone on the crew had one of those bulletproof voltage sensors to keep in their pouch.

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
88 Posts

View attachment 156460
Just read that Santronics 3115 is the only NCV OSHA approved as well. Strange that no other company has a approval? Thanks for recommendation.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,167 Posts
I love the Milwaukee one also but it is not something I depend on or thoroughly trust

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Any of them can fail or be improperly used. They are a great tool for trouble shooting cords and things where you cant access live parts. Probably best to use a wiggy or dvm to confirm the presents of voltage rather than a scanner. Why would anyone keep the button depressed when they were checking for voltage. I think the Fluke 1AC II Non-Contact Voltage Tester
is basically the same as the Klein. The light only comes on so you know the battery is good.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would anyone keep the button depressed when they were checking for voltage.
I think the southwire tester requires you to hold a button for testing low voltage. I have no idea if it will still detect high voltage while holding the low voltage button as I don't own one. I just remember handling some other persons tester and noticed I had to hold the button down.

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,878 Posts
trusting NCVT without confirming is how to get hurt, almost ironic to see a recall

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was wondering if this notice would show up here.

I bought one in this date range from Amazon a couple months back. Klein made it quick and easy to get a recall number and to get a UPS label.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I bought a kobalt NCVT for $10 after looking at the $30 fluke next to it.

It works.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,158 Posts

View attachment 156460
I'm curious what brand meters are made in N. America, or even Europe? Simpson is made in Wisconsin still and is evidently profitable despite the fact that building and calibrating a 260 has to be more labor intense than a digital meter. Some day I hope that Simpson will make a DMM and give Fluke a real dose of competition.
Probably should be anther thread, but my dream meter for general use in my isolated corner of electrical would be a hybrid 260 that has a digital readout with the same analog scale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts