Electrician Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Bootlegger
4,380 Posts
I can't see buying cheap boots every 6 months. My $300 Red Wings are 7 years old and still going strong.

You'll have spent $468 (plus gas and etc. driving to Target) in 7 years. Then another $78 per annum.

And I have clean nice looking books, rather than a 7 yr old pair with oil, grease and paint on them, and soles that are lopsided from wear.

You're wearing 7 yr old boots? Do they match your 7 yr old socks too?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
And I have clean nice looking books, rather than a 7 yr old pair with oil, grease and paint on them, and soles that are lopsided from wear.

You're wearing 7 yr old boots? Do they match your 7 yr old socks too?
Why would mine be covered with paint, oil and grease? Are you assuming I moonlight as a painter and mechanic?

I think you assume way too much.

But yes, they do match my 8 yo socks. As I don't spend $1.29/pair for ones that last three times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I had a pair of Redwing Pecos 1155. I liked them enough to have them resoled 2 times and new heels 3 times before the upper leather gave out.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-win...1155-red-wing-mens-11-inch-pull-on-boot-brown

I then tried out 2 pairs of Ariat Sierras. I liked these very much. I even bought the insulated version to wear in the winter.

http://www.ariat.com/SIERRA_M_FOO.html

One day while I was at the local Western wear store stocking up on Levis, the salesman talked me into buying a pair of Justin boots that were on sale. These are very nice also.

http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men/double-comfort/4762

In case you did not know about cowboy boots, when you first get them they should be a little snug around the ball of the foot and a little slip in the heel. With repeated wear, they will stretch out for a comfortable fit.

Unrelated to the cowboy boots, I always use drug store insoles in my boots.
The Irish setters were snug on my feet but I think a little too much. It's was painful to walk a distance in them. I'll look into the sierras. I used to have a pair of workhogs but they seemed to be making them different as they fit wasn't the same when I tried a pair on.

Thanks for all the replies so far

·
Bootlegger
4,380 Posts
Why would mine be covered with paint, oil and grease? Are you assuming I moonlight as a painter and mechanic?

I think you assume way too much.
I figured most guys were like me. They get grass stains from cutting the grass, I get oil on them from log splitters and fixing leaks on lifts and trucks, and throw in some paint from working on homes and shops.

Heck I even get blood on them sometimes, it happens when I can't get an electricians band-aid on in time.

I couldn't imagine what my boots would look like if I kept them for 7 yrs, but I do know they would stink like hell.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Helmut said:
I figured most guys were like me. They get grass stains from cutting the grass, I get oil on them from log splitters and fixing leaks on lifts and trucks, and throw in some paint from working on homes and shops. Heck I even get blood on them sometimes, it happens when I can't get an electricians band-aid on in time. I couldn't imagine what my boots would look like if I kept them for 7 yrs, but I do know they would stink like hell.
I agree. I spend good money on a boots at least once year, usually around 150 bucks. There's not a boot out there that's gonna last me longer than 2 years tops.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like my Chippewa's I got them at Farm-Way in Bradford, Vermont.
I personally don't like Steel toes, These are composite toe, E-rated, and the model was on clearance. 5 years ago.
Also comfortable and durable. Exactly what I was looking for.

Before those, I was changing boots every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Welp I bit the bullet and went with the redwing pecos 1170. Overall I'm not impressed so far. I've only been wearing them around the house since I'm still debating them. The soles seem really thin which is nice because they don't seem to need a break in but I'm worried I'll be able to really feels rocks and things I step on. As far as the redwing store I also found my experience lackluster. I don't know if It was because I was young or what but the older gentleman wouldn't reccomond anything, answer questions or even offer to size me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My last pair of Timberlands lasted 2 1/2 months or so. Pieces of crap. Redwings lasted me 9 months to a year. Running 3 pair of Danner Tektites now and love them. Danners have lasted longer than all the other pairs of boots I have tried. I wear hiker style boots though, not pretend cowboy boots.
I also blew through the timbo pros in a few months. I've heard great things about danner but nowhere locally sells them and I hate not being able to try them on

21 - 32 of 32 Posts