Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's allowed to put receptacles above drop ceilings but can you plug a transformer cord to it?Are sign cords considered sj type? I think mike holt talks about it in one of his videos...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It's allowed to put receptacles above drop ceilings but can you plug a transformer cord to it?Are sign cords considered sj type? I think mike holt talks about it in one of his videos...what do you guys think?
sign cords can not be plugged in above drop ceilings, SJ cord is considered a cord

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,042 Posts
Art. 400.8(5) will not allow a cord above a ceiling. The receptacle is fine but not a cord. Use a direct wired units.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Elephante said:
personally . I think it's a bunch of crap ! I'd bet my life that a piece of cord lasts longer in a fire than A piece of NM cable ! A heavy duty cord has better insulation properties and overall strength than NM any day . As dumb as I think this is , put the receptacle in the ceiling , or high up on the wall , to avoid problems .

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
360max said:
sign cords can not be plugged in above drop ceilings, SJ cord is considered a cord
what if the transformer is above the ceiling tiles and sign below... The cord or whatever wire that usually feeds neon sign, can that run through the ceiling tile.??.. I haven't done any before so excuse my ignorance.. I had to install receptacles above a drop ceiling which is feeding transformer which is also above the drop ceiling...no neon sign at the moment...

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,042 Posts
personally . I think it's a bunch of crap ! I'd bet my life that a piece of cord lasts longer in a fire than A piece of NM cable ! A heavy duty cord has better insulation properties and overall strength than NM any day . As dumb as I think this is , put the receptacle in the ceiling , or high up on the wall , to avoid problems .
The reason is because of fire especially if the ceiling is a plenum. Also if it is above the ceiling then no one is likely to see if the cord gets damaged or frayed.

what if the transformer is above the ceiling tiles and sign below
They need to use a trany that is direct wired.

Reactions: guest

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
It has been covered many times in this and other forums, but bears repeating here....

As Dennis said in post #4, there is NOTHING in the Code that prohibits installation of a receptacle above a drop (grid, suspended, pick your favorite term) ceiling.

However, good luck finding anything allowed by Code to be plugged into it. :laughing:

My take is install the receptacle and walk away. What the building owner plugs into it is not of your concern..as long as you didn't plug it in for them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dennis Alwon said:
The reason is because of fire especially if the ceiling is a plenum. Also if it is above the ceiling then no one is likely to see if the cord gets damaged or frayed. They need to use a trany that is direct wired.
so if that portion is direct wired to transformer and the transformer and receptacle is above ceiling , I'm ok then.?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Dennis Alwon said:
The reason is because of fire especially if the ceiling is a plenum. Also if it is above the ceiling then no one is likely to see if the cord gets damaged or frayed. They need to use a trany that is direct wired.
. I understand the reason Dennis , but still don't agree with it , lol ! Let's burn a piece of NM and I piece of cord side by side and do a toxicity test . It's just another area , I think the NEC is way off . You know as well as I do , that some of the stuff ( flying splices , buried splices ) have been gone until only discovered and corrected . A receptacle directly above a sign with a cord from the sign that plugs Into it , will be fine forever . Especially if it's on an afci breaker , which is pretty much the case anyway ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drumnut08 said:
. I understand the reason Dennis , but still don't agree with it , lol ! Let's burn a piece of NM and I piece of cord side by side and do a toxicity test . It's just another area , I think the NEC is way off . You know as well as I do , that some of the stuff ( flying splices , buried splices ) have been gone until only discovered and corrected . A receptacle directly above a sign with a cord from the sign that plugs Into it , will be fine forever . Especially if it's on an afci breaker , which is pretty much the case anyway ?
I don't think commercial buildings require arc faults...

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Elephante said:
I don't think commercial buildings require arc faults...
they don't . When did this being a commercial building come into the equation ? It could have easily been a guys mancave and neon beer sign ? Either way , as dumb as I think it is , keep the " dangerous " cord out of the ceiling and you'll be fine . If you don't , you'll be fine too , but not code compliant .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
karl_r said:
how about a video projector? would be allowed or it falls under the same category?
. It's all a bunch of crap ! A listed cord assembly from a factory piece of equipment does not qualify as an extension cord ! I've plugged in numerous condensate pumps ( above suspended ceilings ) that had vectors cords attached . How do you address that ? Poke the cord through the ceiling tile and plug it in under the ceiling , lol ?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Dennis Alwon said:
what about a plenum ceiling filled with PVC , or ABS plumbing Pipe ? I've seen that more times than I can count , but a factory cord is a big problem ?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
what about a plenum ceiling filled with PVC , or ABS plumbing Pipe ? I've seen that more times than I can count , but a factory cord is a big problem ?
From my experience, Ive never seen a PVC pipe fall apart.

Ive seen cords fall apart when I grab them.

The insulation becomes brittle after awhile.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Geographically challenged but if NJ follows the IMC the PVC and or ABS piping isn't permitted in a plenum ceiling.

Pete

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
It has been covered many times in this and other forums, but bears repeating here....

As Dennis said in post #4, there is NOTHING in the Code that prohibits installation of a receptacle above a drop (grid, suspended, pick your favorite term) ceiling.

However, good luck finding anything allowed by Code to be plugged into it. :laughing:

My take is install the receptacle and walk away. What the building owner plugs into it is not of your concern..as long as you didn't plug it in for them. :thumbsup:
I'm with you. Everyone does it. No one ever got hurt.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Geographically challenged but if NJ follows the IMC the PVC and or ABS piping isn't permitted in a plenum ceiling.

Pete

I see PVC in the ceiling all the time.

I guess I don't pay attention to the return.

Plenum ceiling no, non plenum you can?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts