Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pricing a kitchen remodel and the HO wants recessed cans in a lap and plaster ceiling
Had anyone done this?
I'm guessing that I can't use a old work can because I will damage the strength in the lap and that I am going to have to remove plaster to each floor joist and use a new construction can????
I don't have an issue with either way, I just want the HO to know what repairs he is up for

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm pricing a kitchen remodel and the HO wants recessed cans in a lap and plaster ceiling
Had anyone done this?
I'm guessing that I can't use a old work can because I will damage the strength in the lap and that I am going to have to remove plaster to each floor joist and use a new construction can????
I don't have an issue with either way, I just want the HO to know what repairs he is up for
Use a carbide tipped hole saw,and old work cans,add .35 man hours per can in plaster lathe.

It just takes more time wear a dust mask while doing this as well.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Had anyone done this?

I think he means LATH and plaster !

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
One of those holecutter kits works well here. Use the right blade for plaster and then switch to the wood blade to cut thru the lath.

For 4" high hats I use a 4 3/8" grit holesaw for the plaster and then a toothed holesaw for the wood lath. I always use a dustbowl, makes almost no dust.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
One of those holecutter kits works well here. Use the right blade for plaster and then switch to the wood blade to cut thru the lath.

For 4" high hats I use a 4 3/8" grit holesaw for the plaster and then a toothed holesaw for the wood lath. I always use a dustbowl, makes almost no dust.
great advice, and it saves the toothed holesaw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.