Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a kitchen at the moment. There are a few 5" recessed lights right now. I am adding 10 more and replacing the existing. The fixture I use is a lightolier 1004 icr. Its a 5" old work can. My problem is that the rough opening for the lightolier is 5 1/8. I already cut the new ones in. When I took the old ones out they have a rough opening of 5 5/8. The lightoliers now are too small and push right through the hole without grabbing the drywall. My fault. I should have measured old ones first. Juno makes a can that is 5 1/2 but I need to match the trims since they are all next to one another. Any ideas?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Im doing a kitchen at the moment. There are a few 5" recessed lights right now. I am adding 10 more and replacing the existing. The fixture I use is a lightolier 1004 icr. Its a 5" old work can. My problem is that the rough opening for the lightolier is 5 1/8. I already cut the new ones in. When I took the old ones out they have a rough opening of 5 5/8. The lightoliers now are too small and push right through the hole without grabbing the drywall. My fault. I should have measured old ones first. Juno makes a can that is 5 1/2 but I need to match the trims since they are all next to one another. Any ideas?
OOOCH!:eek:

Use some strapping to make the lights fit and use DryDex spackling to patch the holes.

Good luck..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elecpatsfan said:
Switch over to the LED retrofits, then it doesnt matter which can you use. The Halo 5"/ 6" universals are nice
Do you know if the Halo retrofits work on lutron dimmers? Spec sheet says electronic led rated dimmer and most incandescent dimmers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
elecpatsfan said:
cant remember which brand dimmer I used, I can tell you it wasnt an LED dimmer, and it worked fine. I think you'll have no problem with lutron
Thanks. You saved me a lot of labor on this one. Customer went with the Halo leds. Im putting them in tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.